Monday, July 30, 2007

You can't stop the beat


Yesterday we went to the movies and saw Hairspray. We both loved the original movie, and were able to see the musical when it opened on Broadway (they were competing against us that year in the Tonys) and enjoyed that as well. So it was no surprise that the movie was a lot of fun. The cast was mostly great, especially Tracy and Seaweed. Adam Shankman, the director/choregrapher, was on SYTYCD a few weeks back, and seemed pretty manic which I hoped would make for some fun choreography, but I felt a little let down in that department. Jerry Mitchell, the original choreographer, is always good for fun, inventive choreography that surprises you. The dancing in the movie is competent, but decidedly background. Maybe it was a choice. And who in Amanda Bynes? She must be famous for something, but she was no Kerry Butler. Not terrible, just kinda boring. And did the editor hate Allison Janney or something? Weird editing killed most of her humor, which was really odd.

But overall it was a lot of fun, still with a good dose of subversive John Waters humor hidden amongst all the fluffy entertainment. John Travolta as Edna as a Spanish dancer gave me a good belly laugh. And I hate to admit it, but I really liked James Marsden. I've been enjoying not liking him ever since X-Men, where he sucked, and have avoided seeing him in just about anything else. But dang he was really good in this. I guess I'm just a sucker for anyone who can sing, what can I say?

No comments:

Post a Comment