Thursday, July 5, 2007

Leslie Uggams is Bustin Out All Over

This video is required viewing material for all theatre nerds, and never stops being funny to me. Whoever posted this does a little of their own editing which is cute, although totally unnecessary. Anyway, Leslie Uggams was performing years back at a 4th of July celebration in the Mall, and made a lot of people happy with her rendition of "June Is Busin' Out All Over" from "Carousel". The resolution isn't great, but try and check out the one gay guy in the audience who seems to be the only person aware that something might be going wrong. Heh - only a true star can *almost* get away with this, and she would have to, if it hadn't been for those pesky video cameras...

4 comments:

  1. Tee hee. I'm not a huge musical theater nerd, but even I'm aware that "zuba zaba jeepers" aren't the lyrics to that song.

    I spent my 4th at the Pirates / Brewers baseball game. Since it was the 4th and they were being all patriotic and crap, they had an army officer sing the national anthem. Watching people sing the national anthem always makes me so nervous. I've just seen way too many of those horrible videos where the person forgets the words in front millions of people or can't quite hit the right notes. Much to my relief, officer whoever did a splendid job.

    At some point during the song I looked over at the jumbotron and realized the words were posted up there while she was singing. I turned to Jason and said, "Oh look, that's nice.....in case the fans want to sing along." And he pointed out, "No Honey, I think that's in case she forgets the words."

    Hmmmm.....If only Leslie had had a jumbotron :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blogger approval eh? Geez, were people getting a little too racy? Hmmmm.....I just don't know if I'll be able to continue to comment if I have to edit out all the sex and violence ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok...you are a theatre nerd... I watched that whole thing, and A) I couldn't tell which guys in the audience were striaght and which were gay, and B) I kept waiting for leslies top to "bust out all o-ver!!!"...(what? you said there was editing!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I canned the Blogger approval, what a pain in the butt that is. Just wish I could delete the spam comments, but oh well, guess it is a small price to pay for the wit and wisdom of my friends. ::grin::

    And Colin, you crack me up. You'll be glad to know you aren't the first person to make that comment about that song title though, so I can't mock you too much.

    ReplyDelete