Saturday, July 21, 2007

Waiting for Potter

I'm back from my trip, and have a few things to say about it. But right now I'm stuck waiting for my stinking boyfriend to get his lazy butt out of bed so I can go get the new Harry Potter book. The store opened at six (I was up at 6:15) and now it is 7:15 and he is still asleep? I ask you, why is it that he is the one asleep while I'm the one suffering the nightmare!?! And just watch, when he finally gets up he will blame me for not waking him up earlier.

However, we did have a great trip in NYC. Saw some shows, saw some friends. Because I've moved around so much I always have a hard time answering whenever I'm asked "Where are you from?", but I have to say the second I got into town I just felt so comfortable. I love the city, in many ways it just feels like home to me. Even after being away so long, I just feel like I belong there, I'm not sure how else to decribe it. The funny thing though, was that while this was a great feeling in the beginning, it did come as a double-edged sword. Once the initial euphoria had worn off, we had some time to kill, and neither of us were sure what to do. We'd have a few hours between lunch and dinner plans or whatever seeing people, and had nowhere to go. Normal people on vacation go see the Statue of Liberty or Empire State or whatnot, but we've done all those things. Our friends all had to work so couldn't just hang with us all day, so we had hours where we'd just wander the streets which was kind of boring after a while. When you live there you just go home or run errands or go shopping. As a visitor that feels like he is at home but without the actual home to go to, well, it was odd and, at times, a little boring.

Anyhoo, David FINALLY woke up, so I'm gonna run. I will make some more posts soon, well soon meaning after I finish reading Harry Potter. Unless he wrests is away from me for a bit, that probably means tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. We have our book in hand, receiving it very near 12 midnight, surrounded by all ages of Harry Potter fans - who, like us, were eager to share opinions about what was going to happen in this book and how we felt about the last movie, etc. I saw the BEST sorting hat. I kinda wanted to grab it and run out the store. Temptation lurks in the most unsuspecting of places, huh? Kyle found a perfect conversation just minutes before finally heading for the checkout who espoused nearly all the same thoughts and I'm surprised Kyle didn't talk him into writing to you as a source of great light and knowledge. There was a dentist who was reading the books because so many of his patients were into them and he wanted to be able to talk to them about Potter. Since when do you get to ever talk to your dentist??? Breanne and Melissa went with us and we even dressed up a little and got graduation tassels for outguessing the "wizard" a couple of times. Eat your heart out. Kyle was out in Dad's workshop yesterday afternoon fashioning real wood wands for us. They turned out pretty good and Breanne was thrilled. Melissa kept stealing Kyle's. It was kind of amusing to hear her try to make out Latin-sounding spells with her accent. ::grin:: At the party, she gave out and called Gavin and left us a bit early but Breanne hung in there to the bitter end - even though she resembled the walking dead during the last 1/2 hour or so. It's only 9:30am and Kyle is easily on chapter 6. Too bad he has to work today.
    Robb - you didn't like Helena Bonham Carter??? I thought she was great. I wanted to see more of her. Luna was perfect. But I have such a great affection for Emma Thompson - I wanted a lot more of her. They could have made up stuff for her, don't you think???? I know this is just whining, but why did Richard Harris have to go and die??? I miss him a lot. Hope you got David up and there were books still available. Otherwise you can come on to LV and read Kyle's. I'm sure he'll be done by Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Robb - We felt almost the same way when we made our 1st trip back over Memorial Day weekend. We had been seeing NYC on tv/movies and started getting that "nostalgic" feeling for the city, but once we were there, it was quite clear why we left. And again, being so familiar with it, we were bored too (though we did do some things we hadn't done while living there and ate at some good restaurants/saw 3 shows). but other than seeing Bway shows, I don't feel much pull to live there again (unless its on Riverside Drive with unlimited $$$).
    Take care

    ReplyDelete