Sunday, July 22, 2007

The end of Harry Potter

Where to start, where to start. I finished Harry Potter last night just in time for bed. I'm not sure how long David stayed up reading it, but I'm dying for him to finish so we can discuss. If you haven't read the book, don't read this post!

Overall, I was pretty thrilled with the book. It surprised me in places, but it also took me to places that I really wanted to go. I was shocked with the death of Hedwig early on (which curiously was never mentioned again, but David maintains that Hedwig was always rather a neglected pet) but then the death toll just kept mounting. Part of the problem with a magical world though, is I'm always slightly hesitant to believe what I'm told. It took another four chapters or so before I finally believed that Mad-Eye was really dead and not just injured or captured or something.

As usual, all the childish bickering and flaring tempers was annoying filler, but since she wasted no time at all getting to the meat of the story it never dragged on too long. Even if I wanted more from Petunia, I loved the closure with the Dursleys. Call me a sucker, but all it takes is a handshake and I love a character. George losing an ear was strangely remnicent of Xander losing an eye in Buffy, but whatever, it was still in character. I enjoyed the return of Ollivander, and of course Luna and Neville are especially satisfying characters. Although this wasn't their story (or Ginny's either), it felt good to know that there were other stories happening. I'm sure it won't take long before some talented fan fiction comes out detailing the adventures of the kids left back at Hogwarts.

I loved Percy's redemption, even if it seemed a bit abrupt, it still was the right thing to do. I understand about Fred, but it is so tragic that I can't yet decide if it was necessary or not. The wounds are still raw! heh Lupin and Tonks, ditto. And, who raised the baby? At the end Harry says "He's over for dinner four nights a week", but does that mean he was raised by his grandma instead of his godfather? It that how it is really works? I guess at 17 Harry was too young to raise a baby, but when they died that was what I was expecting somehow. Crabbe? Didn't see that coming. I have a fondness for the Crabbe/Goyle actors in the movie, and never really thought of them as evil like that, but it was deserved after all.

The whole final battle was just fun, I can't wait for the movie! But good thing the movies have been getting darker, because with all the death it is going to be dark indeed. But I will pee my pants when I get to see Julie Walters scream "GET AWAY FROM THEM, YOU BITCH!" Stolen, perhaps, from "Aliens", but just as satisfying. Snape's story was very close to what I'd imagined, my only regret that we didn't have more for Alan Rickman to do when the movie comes out.

I realize this is all very fragmented, but it is all just bumping around in my head. Dobby? Heartbreaking, and I never even liked the character much. Kreature? Awesome, and I never even liked the character much. The dragon escape will be terrific in the movie. How did Neville get the sword back from the goblins? Is there finally peace amongst the wizards and the goblins/house elves/cantuars/giants/spiders etc?

Again the political stuff was the scariest of all. Dolores deserved more than just a stun.

I'll have to read it again to get more of the details. It is kind of sad that the story is finished. What a great ride in pop culture it has been over the last, what, well for me I think like 8 years. It is fun participating, giving knowing looks to strangers carrying the books. In NY the subways used to be full of people reading. Yesterday I took a break from reading to run to the gym, and a 45 year old guy was sitting on a stationary bike reading. He had taken off the dust jacket, but it was still obviously Potter. It is fun to talk about with strangers and acquantences and friends. It is a shared experience, the like of which doesn't really happen all that often anymore. So I'm sad it is over. While I do hope the Harry Potter Theme Park I keep hearing about does indeed come to pass, I'll be surprised if Rowling really writes more books. Other than the last two films, for all intents and purposes Harry Potter is, figuratively speaking at least, dead. ::sniff::

5 comments:

  1. agh! what an end indeed! i suspected several of the things in the book (snape's redemption, harry being a horcrux) but it was all such a surprise anyway. i am glad that harry and ginny made it in the end and that neville and luna survived. they became perhaps, my favorite characters (after... you know... harry potter). i am sad it is over, but i think it ended very well. and we still have the movies to look forward to! i can't WAIT to see harry and dumbledore in king'd cross station and the final battle between him and voldemort. lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with everthing you said about the last book! As you may or may not remember i am a huge fan of the twins so i took it pretty hard when fred died. however i almost cried when harry told his son albus that snape was one of the bravest men he had ever known! i have always loved snape so i am so happy with the way the book turned out. i also think it was really great that harry didnt use the killing curse on Voldemort it was very cool the way it all went down, and of course the mrs.weasly/bellitrix fight was amazing! the only problem is that i no longer have harry potter to look forward to! I hope that your loving DC because i really miss you and David. sunday nights are not the same without dinner with you guys! (not to mention the fact that kyle isnt here either) I love you and i miss you loads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished it yesterday morning.

    Harry did lament Hedwig a couple times later in the book (the last time when he wishes he could “go out” quick like she did, never seeing it coming). I’m surprised he didn’t regret that he’d released her when he’d left the Dursleys’. Would have made more sense.

    Almost everyone died! This was my eleven year old’s comment on the book. He loved it, though. I think Fred’s death was worth the battle between Bellatrix and Mrs. Weasly. Hearing her call a death eater a bi-atch was totally worth the loss of a beloved character. Call me shallow. Can’t wait to see that scene. Dobby’s death broke my heart and I was cheering out loud when Kreacher leads the house elves in a charge through Hogwarts. Definitely can’t wait to see THAT on the big screen.

    I personally hope she never writes about (or allows someone else to write about) Harry again. I actually didn’t care for the epilogue. I’d much rather leave the end at the, well the end. The whole Harry as a daddy thing and “Albus Severus” was a bit much for me. Smoochy smoochy happy ending, whatever. Leave it open, because that leaves for all possibilities. What we can imagine is so much more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the other article I linked to, she talks about how a book is a book, and is not meant to be encyclopedic about the entire world she has created. But fans clamor for details on everyone and everything. I'm afraid I'm one of them. I liked the epilogue for the warm fuzzies, although it gave me as many questions as it answered I guess. I just want someone to write Neville's story. I want to hear about how Ron and Hermione made it back into the Chamber of Secrets. I want to know what happened to Colin Creevey. I guess I'm just a nerd that I care so much. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loved the last book. And agree with most of your comments. Rowling said she will write more books, but is enjoying her rest. She also said that she'd probably write under a pen name so the new work would not be compared with Harry Potter. How can you top that anyway?!

    See ya,
    Jason Burke

    ReplyDelete