Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Bugs

Again, I know I'm skirting the real issues, but I'd be amiss if I didn't mention the cool bugs we've seen so far. First of all, the coolest bug in the universe lives here, and of course I am referring to fireflies. They are all over the parks, but we even have some right out our front door, which makes me the happiest kid this side of Christmas.

But also, we have one window that is missing a screen, and a friendly spider has taken up residence. Actually he isn't friendly at all, he is a bloodthirsty monster, but since his victims are all fluttery little pests I don't seem to mind. I'm not usually into spiders at all, and this one is certainly no beauty. But I happened to catch him just as he was starting to build his web, and sat and watched him for twenty minutes as he built the whole thing and started eating the aformentioned fluttery pests. He didn't even suck out the good parts, he just ate them whole, chomp chomp. Attracted by the room lights, it was a huge smorgasbord for him too. Next morning I looked at the web, and darned if he didn't lick his plate clean even. Last night, he tore down the old web and built a new one from scratch. Again, spiders aren't really my thing (unless they are of the fishing for ants variety), but he was just such a hard worker I couldn't help but be impressed.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of the reasons I think you're such a cool guy. You took the time to sit and watch a spider do it's spider-thang.

    I got high speed internet today! Next is catching up on the Pirate Master. Two to catch up on before tomorrow night...

    ReplyDelete