Wednesday, July 16, 2008

More Pixar magic, and this time with singing! (Even if it is Michael Crawford)

Yes, I changed the look of the blog again. The other template was too narrow and was squeezing out my maps on the side, so I went back to the old template, but didn't bother changing all the colors again. Actually, I tried to get the green back, but it wasn't working out, so I just kept with the blue. One of these days I may try to get jiggy with my Photoshop and make a custom header with a picture or something, but at the moment I don't want to spend the time.

Last night David and I saw "Wall-E", or however the heck you spell it. When I first heard about the movie I was completely uninterested. Much like I was totally uninterested in Cars and Ratatouille. But Ratatouille turned out to be really good, and after hearing some good word of mouth we decided to go see it. Now I'm having a hard time deciding if it is my favorite Pixar of all-time, or if Toy Story still just edges it out.

It is by far the most ambitious of any of the Pixar movies, and let's be honest, even my least favorite of them, Cars and Bugs Life, are still better than most other animated movies. The detail and nuance in this new one is impressive, engaging, funny, and tugs at all the right heart-strings. And the animation is stunning, which started David and I on another conversation along the lines of "what if we could show this movie to someone from 30 years ago, how would it blow their minds? Or what about 100 years ago?" Of course, someone from 100 years ago would have a hard time grasping much of what was going on probably.

My only nit-pick is I'm not sure I like the whole human-to-cartoon transformation. It is just a little weird watching Fred Willard, although for some reason the "Hello Dolly" footage bothered me less. But whatever. At least Wall-E didn't turn out to be evil or something. And I thought all the Apple references were cute touches.

As far as my idiot savant talent for voice recognition, I picked up Sigourney Weaver immediately, and of course was anticipating the Cheers guy. But I have to admit Kathy Najimy threw me for a loop. Not that she had that much to say to give me much time, but I should've gotten her anyway, I knew the voice but just couldn't place her until I saw the credits. I hate that. lol The Captain wasn't familiar at all, and I was glad at the end to see it was someone I legitimately didn't know, so I didn't miss anything there.

Anyway, loved it. Maybe I'll have to rent the Toy Stories again and see how they hold up. And I don't know if it's true or not, but someone told me they are making Toy Story 3. Based on the strength of the second one, I'm game as long as Randy Newman doesn't write any more songs.

2 comments:

  1. once again proving that Disney rocks and Pixar suprises on every movie. i'm like you i haven't truly trusted a Pixar movie since Toy Story, but every single one of them (Cars, Finding Nemo, Bug's Life, Incredibles, and i've heard Ratatouille) are really good. not all are fantastic, but i enjoy every one i watch, they're just so good. so what about Batman? how have you not written about that yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Batman. It just looks depressing, which is not my idea of summer fun. I didn't think I'd like the first one either, but it was a'ight as a rental, partly because I loved Alfred and at the time I still loved Katie Holmes. I imagine this will be the same. Summer movies are supposed to be fun. I'd be more excited about The Mummy if they hadn't replaced the wife, which just irks me. We've already missed Hancock, not to mention Prince Caspian. We just don't go to movies enough, which is to say we do go enough, but most movies are just fine as a much cheaper Netflix.

    Not sure when we are going to fit it in, but the next movie we want to see is Mamma Mia. :)

    ReplyDelete