Wednesday, July 30, 2008

He just needs a refreshing beverage

McCain is depressing me. I was in a patients room last night, and he was on the TV talking, of course, about Obama. I mean, there was a time that I really admired McCain, and I know that when you are the underdog you sort of have to attack the frontrunner by default, that is just sort of the way these things work. But so many of his attacks are just so transparently stupid and awkward that it just makes me a little sad to see him stoop so low.

One of my patients was an old lady who is the poster child for geriatric nursing, just completely adorable and just like what I imagine Pollyanna was like when she was in her late 80s. Anyway, she was talking about the upcoming shift of TV's to digital broadcast, and as an educated consumer, she knows she is going to have to buy a new TV come next February, and wasn't quite sure how she was going to afford it. Now, old people who are poor is something that has depressed me since I was a little kid and I practically started crying when on a hot day an old lady tripped on her dog and dropped her slurpee in the parking lot of a 7-11 and had to go back in and the evil bastard clerk made her buy a new one instead of giving her a free refill. (I was sensitive! I had money on me and wanted desperately to go pay for it myself, but much to my shame I was too embarrassed to do anything and just froze. But I still think that clerk has a special place in hell reserved for him. This is probably the most vivid memory I have from my seven year old self.)

McCain depresses me in a similar way. Even though he isn't poor (heck, he lets his kids run up $50,000 a month on his credit cards, which for me is another kind of problem, but whatever), he just seems so...OLD, with his awkward "That's not change you can believe in" stuff. I just want to pat him on the back and buy him a slurpee.

3 comments:

  1. Consumers aren't supposed to need new TVs -- they can print coupons from the government for discounts on converter boxes. With the $40 savings, the cost is expected to be about $60, in theory. For more info:

    http://www.dtvanswers.com/

    PS: Do NOT print a coupon until you're ready to buy!!! They expire after 30 days, I think!!!

    PLEASE TELL THAT POOR OLD WOMAN!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, you caught me on some sloppy blogging. She was talking about the coupon, but at the moment I was distracted trying to draw some blood. So the poor old woman is clearly smarter than me.

    But at least now I know that someone is reading this stuff. Yay for Scott! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I just felt bad for her, being stuck with a nurse who didn't know how to help her. ;-)

    Hugs & shmugs!

    ReplyDelete