Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Tired but still kicking after some overtime

OK, I have so much blogging to catch up on, including more Canadian awesomeness (never imagined I'd say that, heh) and we are still slugging through the last two days of Olympics, but now that it is officially over I find I'm running out of steam. Some things are meant to be enjoyed in real time. But, briefly, what is up with rhythmic gymnastics replacing the ball with a stupid rope? Obviously the ribbon is the best, but ball was second over hoop and the stupid clubs. But the rope is even lamer than the clubs. If I promise not to complain about the total mystery that is rhythmic gymnastics judging, why do you mock me with your lame rope routines?

However, I have to make a brief comment on the chatter over the Democratic Convention this week. I only saw snippets of Michelle Obama and Hillary's speeches as I was walking in and out of patient rooms, and haven't paid attention to much else. Because, in general, convention = boring. However, I find it funny that all the pundits and commentators and even many of the bloggers I otherwise admire are all taking Obama to task for maintaining his message of hope and calm insight. They want him (and his surrogates) to come out swinging against McCain. But, guys, I know that would make better television, but you are missing the point that the fact that this is a primary reason why I'm so excited about his campaign in the first place. If all I'd wanted was a fighter, I'd have voted for Hillary. I don't think politics has to be the schoolyard fight that it has become. McCain has fallen into the Rove trap already, simultaneously farting out his mouth that it was hypocritical for Obama to choose Biden for his VP since Biden had previously been critical of Obama during the primaries, while also complaining that the only reason that Obama didn't pick Hillary is that she was...critical of Obama during the primaries. What exactly does Obama have to say? McCain is destroying his image all by himself.

So I could care less if the media tries to paint Obama as weak for not lowering himself to McCain's level. That isn't weakness. It takes true strength to hold yourself to a higher standard and then actually walk the talk.

1 comment:

  1. i do agree, but i don't understand why obama is saying hardly anything about mccain at all. if he has to use surrogates (like biden) to do so, that's fine by me. that's sort of why i love biden- he basically says whatever he wants. to some extent though, you have to fight fire with fire. i'm not for the rove tactics mccain is descending to, but there have to be a few blows in the mccain direction.

    ReplyDelete