Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Opening ceremonies rock

Those light drums are ridiculous. How the heck do you choreograph that? Amazing.

Wait, there are people in those moving boxes? Speechless. David is crying now.

Their suits light up! Their suits light up!

Gosh darnit, you know we just missed like a million dollars worth of effects during that lamely placed commercial break.

I don't understand how this show was put together. I've done group choreography with just a dozen people that took hours and hours and hours to figure out the spacing and how to keep our lines, and we always had markings on the stage to keep our place. How are 2000 people able to keep in concentric circles? It boggles my mind, I absolutely cannot fathom how what I'm watching is being done. This whole thing is obviously a trick of CGI. Otherwise my brain will melt.

Sydney had an amazing opening ceremony - heck, it was that event that got me hooked on the Olympics in the first place. Athens in 2004 was, well, ok, pretty visuals but not all that inspiring. This, though, has been truly spectacular. How is London going to top this? Dang I wish we could have been there in person.

We've just decided that at some point we are going to go on vacation and see an Olympics live. Summer for sure, probably not London, I want something more exotic. We'll have to see who has them in 2016, that might be our year.

No comments:

Post a Comment