Monday, August 18, 2008

I don't hate Michael Phelps, BUT

Why is NBC trying to make me hate Michael Phelps? Look, I think what he accomplished has been amazing, the win by 0.01 of a second was astounding, and as long as he NEVER drinks and drives again, he seems like a nice guy who makes a great role model. Plus I love his mother, and his crying sisters made me cry along with them. But come on, how many times do I have to sit through yet another video montage about him? I watched all the races, I don't need to be reminded about how amazing he is every other commercial break. Then I notice at the bottom of the screen is "To purchase the Michael Phelps video call 1-800..." NBC, sell your crappy videos on your own time. This is the Olympics, and all this screen time could be far better served with another video montage of, say, A DIFFERENT athlete. How about Alicia Sacramone, who I think is a hero in her own right. Or what about Usain Bolt, whose completely ridiculous 100-meter dash amazed me. Yeah, I think it is sort of lame that he started celebrating and slowed down before he reached the finish line, and yet still he set a world record, and if winning was his real goal, well, that is his right I guess. Or how about Shelly-Ann Fraser, who was totally adorable after she won the same race for the women. Heck, pick one of the vollyball players, or the trampoline jumpers, or the bicycle chase race. I watch it all, but I'd enjoy it all more if I knew more about the athletes. And that means that as much as I love him, I am now done with Michael Phelps. Time to move on. (The HEADLINE on yahoo today is how Michael Phelps wants to eat some junk food. This is news? Really? I mean, really?)

The American volleyball team is currently killing the Japanese. Their star player to me looks like a sexy version of Richard Hatch. Well, he does.

I have to admit that I watched the entire women's marathon. In real time. I am such a nerd.

Seriously. There is ANOTHER Michael Phelps: The Greatest American Champion commercial airing right now. Who is really going to buy that? I hate you NBC.

So many of the runners have yellow shoes. I like that. One woman in the marathon, where most everyone was running in variations of a bikini, was wearing a little green mini-dress. Why couldn't we have a video montage about her? I was so curious!

I go back to work tomorrow, which after almost three weeks off I can't really complain about. But I'm working an overtime shift next week too, which means I'm going to really fall behind again on the Olympics. I've said it before and I'll say it again, but thank God for Tivo.

We tried to have burgers today at a new place in the neighborhood that is run/owned/whatever by some guy named Spike that was on one of those Top Chef shows. (I know, a reality show that I didn't watch? Amazing!) But they were closed until dinner. I know fancy restaurants sometimes close between lunch and dinner, but this is a burger place. Whatever. We were not impressed by your pretend fanciness, burger joint.

No comments:

Post a Comment