Thursday, August 21, 2008

Now who is the pampered elite again?

This has little to do with deciding who would be the best president or anything, but John McCain doesn't know how many homes he owns? I mean, who can keep track after the first five or six I guess. I can't tell from the coverage if any of the homes are rental properties, which might be more defensible I suppose, but it hardly seems like John McCain is the landlord type. When asked about it, he actually said "I'll have to check with my staff". Like he has a staff member whose job it is to research how many homes he owns.

Again, I don't think knowing how many homes you own is a prerequisite for becoming president. (Or remembering when the last time you pumped your own gas was.) It's just kind of funny. (Though I am still a big wigged out by the fact that someone who wants to be President can't/won't/doesn't think it is important to learn how to "get online".)

Update: It seems that of the count of seven homes the Obama camp is using, one house is indeed a rental property, which I think is more of an investment rather than a home per se, and one is a $700,000 "loft" the McCain's bought for their daughter as a graduation present. Dang, my graduation present was a camera. Mom, dad, you sure missed the boat on that one. ::grin::

Second Update: The McCain's spent $273,000 last year on "household help". That is over a quarter of a million dollars just paying the maids. Holy crap they are rich.

Third Update: This story just isn't going away. But here's a statistic for you - if your annual income was as much as what the McCain's spent on their maids, you'd be richer than 95% of American families. No wonder he wants to keep taxes for rich people low. But then, it must be weird to live in a world where you choose to take a nine-car motorcade to grab a cappuccino at Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment