Friday, August 31, 2007

Seeing someone famous

We took my mother to the Eastern Market, which is a long-standing farmers market/craft fair/flea market in the neighborhood. The building that used to house it was seriously damaged by a fire the week before we moved here, pushing it all out into the streets on the weekends. I'm sure I've mentioned the superyum tomatoes we've been getting there. Anyway, they built a new temporary building across the street for all the vendors with meat and other perishables until the main building can be rebuilt, which had its grand opening this weekend. By sheer coincidence we wanted to take my mother. We not only got some crazy delicious heirloom tomatoes, some concord grapes, both a black and a white bell pepper (purple and pale yellow perhaps?), and some melt-in-your-mouth nectarines, but we also made our first political "celebrity" sighting in the form of the mayor of DC. He was there with a camera crew promoting the opening of the new building. David shook his hand, but I wasn't quick enough. He was young, and had a very friendly face.

It isn't quite the same thing as running into Alicia Silverstone in the grocery store, or Angelica Houston walking down your street, or even having Angelyne speed by in her pink car, all of which happened to us when we lived in LA. But then this is a different kind of town, isn't it?

6 comments:

  1. And it certainly doesn't beat having a drunk Allison Janney hug you repeatedly and tell you that she loves you ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, even though you told on me about the a_ _ thingy, I'll forgive you 'cause you entitled it that there are a myriad of ways you love me. What more could a Mom ask? And now I'm all geared for another trip to Wash. DC (heh, bet you are sad I'm keeping up on your blog, huh?). For all to know .. Robb and David have an AWESOME pad *and* they are the most gracious of hosts. They even carry your luggage up and down the stairs, and drive you to your next destination, provided it isn't too far away or too late at night. ::grin::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to mention the fine fare they serve you when you're there, it sounds like!

    So Robb, where are the pics of the interior that we've all been dying to see? Did the Moroccan living room come to pass or was it a myth?

    I saw Mario on the shuttle tonight after work, had a nice "catch-up" chat on how he's enjoying life post-nursing school. Was really cool. And thought as I was getting off that it's too bad I never get to see you. But then it makes me feel better, in a strange way, knowing that Robb is doing bigger and better things than riding the ghetto UH shuttle three nights a week!:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss C, I still hate you hate you hate you for that. Allison Janey needs to drunkenly fall in love with ME!! I'm sure a pair of gay boyfriends is just what she needs to make her life complete, so next time she is falling all over you, suggest me intead, or what kind of friend are you anyway? I am currently praying that she gets hired to do the 9 to 5 musical that Dolly Parton wrote, she played the Lily Tomlin role in a recent reading and I think she would rock!

    Sorry Mom, but anything funny is always fodder for the blog. Can't be helped. ::grin::

    Radha: The Moroccan idea didn't really materialize. We painted a base coat of this rich golden brown, but loved it so much we just left it as is. We did a wash of red, painted on to look sort of like strips of linen (my mom thought it was wallpaper), but it only made it onto one of the four walls. We still have a few Moroccan touches - the rug, some pillows, but it is much more understated. All dark furniture. I love it.

    I wonder if I'll ever run into Matt, he isn't too far away. And now I guess Ramatou is moving to Maryland, though I don't know if she'll be anywhere near me or not.

    But I ride a ghetto shuttle from the subway to work too, so you aren't alone in that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. are you sure the mayor wasn't there to buy crack? Or was that a different mayor? He came and went and came so many times...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Col - I'd forgotten about him. No, this is a new guy. He is young and handsome, sort of like an African-American John Edwards. But then, you'd have to be on crack to want to be a politician, wouldn't you? So who knows, maybe.

    ReplyDelete