Friday, August 10, 2007

So you think you can judge dance

We've come down to the final six, and I'm having all kinds of crazy mixed emotions. I still have a general confusion about whether I want to see pure skill or personality rewarded the most. But you know what? This week was the best they've had, and I thought all of the dances were amazing. If the second round wasn't quite as strong as the first, they still had enough crazy lifts and dives to keep my heart beating happy. So much of it really depends on the choreographer, and I was glad they seem to have been saving some of their best stuff for the end. Lacy and Pasha I thought were the best paired, and their first routine rocked out. They are both just awesome, way better than their lame solo dances ever indicate. Actually I think most of the solo dances suck. These kids are too young to be choreographers yet, they just run around, do some tricks if they've got 'em. How much better would it be if like Lacy came out and did that manequin thing. Character is always more interesting.

Miss Chevious will remember this, but years ago we took class with Tommy Walsh (who recently passed away way too young) who was one of the original cast members of "A Chorus Line", and got to do lots of his super fun Tony-award-winning choregraphy from "My One And Only". But for weeks he would line us up at the back of the room, put on this crazy music from the movie "Soapdish", and make us one at a time dance down the room in our own style. I would never say I was a great dancer, but especially at that time I was probably just reaching my prime as a dancer, and still I HATED that exercise. Most of us did. There were a few exceptional dancers in the class (Kristin Fox this means you!) who had a big enough dance vocabulary and self-awareness to be really cool. But for me the music was just goofy and silly and I never got over my self-conciousness about it. It was always the low point of class.

And that is how I feel about the solo dances. Danny and Neil alone have enough tricks to get through it without being totally boring. But even so it is just them running around, it isn't like I'm getting any insight or making any connection with them as dancers. I want to see them shine, not fade.

Anyway, I still think Sabra is my girl, but she has some very strong competition. I've had reservations about Neil and especially Lauren from the beginning, but both of them were great this week, especially Neil. Frankly for the first time I'm at a loss at who I want to go home. Well, Lauren. But I really don't know for the boys. Danny is so super talented, and Pasha is so super cute, and Neil is smack dab in between. I'd be happy to just have the show end the competition, stay with three couples and just let them all go at it every week. At this level, I could watch forever. This could be the Lawrence Welk Show of our generation. And instead of the boring solo dances, you could get like Melinda Doolittle and Chris Daughtry from Idol to come over and do musical numbers. That would be sweet.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, uh, Miss Chevious *doesn't* remember this. I remember Tommy Walsh, but not the solo dancing part. Maybe I was "sick" that day or went to an audition or something. However, I do remember the hateful Ann Reinking yelling at everyone and making some people cry. I've never been able to watch Annie the same way since that day.

    I totally had that same thought about the Lawrence Welk Show recently. Probably because my grandma still watches it religiously on PBS. But you are right, the American Idol / SYTYCD combo would be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are insane... :)

    Although I agree with mostly what you said, I thought that Pasha's hip hop wasn't great. His arms were flailing every where. I had two favorite routines the Mia Micheal's routine, Lauren and Danny were AMAZING. I also love the Jazz routing. Like you, I love Sabra. Everytime she comes on stage I smile.

    I completely agree with you on the solos. I think they need to do what they did that first night with the top ten. Give them all the same routine. That will allow us to see who really is the best dancer. Although, this isn't about the best dancer, but America's favorite dancer. What about those Jeedges...

    Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss Chevious, how could you forget? It obviously scarred me for life, I can't believe you could just forget about it. We did it every class, remember it sounded like "I Dream Of Jeannie" music?

    As for Ann, well, if people would just have done their teacup fingers without rolling their eyes it would have been fine! ;)

    Rixter, you clearly must have been distracted when you were watching (lets see, what in your house could possibly have unlimited energy and potential for offering worthwhile distraction, hmmmmm) because Pasha totally kicked it. I'm no Mary, I have no idea about the technique of hip hop, but still I thought he was totally committed and had a great character, and I thought he was super fierce.

    But I like your idea about having them do the same solo dance. Ten of them was too much. But for these final ones it would be way more helpful if, you know, I was actually voting or anything.

    Also, I just got the whole "Jidges" thing this week, I never understood that before. I still don't really get it, did it just sound funny with her accent the very first time she said it or something? How did it become such a stupid bit? But I still love her, she is literally heads and shoulders above most reality hosts...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure how the jidges thing turned into a whole bit. I just used to mock her alone in my house, but apparently the studio audiences also found it humorous that she couldn't pronounce the word correctly. So, they turned it into a bit.

    ReplyDelete