Thursday, August 9, 2007

Well it has been an interesting couple of days. My cutest patient had a seizure at 7pm Tuesday just as we were getting ready to give report which was kind of scary. Yesterday she had another. Then one of my other patients had some visitors and one of her visitors had a seizure. We took his blood pressure - 60/35 with a heart rate of 39 at one point. He drank some water and seemed to recover, and the ER came but he didn't want to go and we had to talk him into it. Never a dull moment it seems.

Also I got to watch a bronchoscopy and an endoscopy. Freaking awesome.

I had a patient ask me for my address and phone number. heh.

The more I learn the more I realize I don't know yet. I'm getting both more and less comfortable at the same time, it is really weird. But the amount I do know increases every day, so I know I'm on the right track.

I bought a new stethoscope. I thought I just sucked at auscultation, but it turns out the stethoscope I've been using for the past two years was JUST A PIECE OF CRAP! I'm now $180 poorer, but at least I can hear things. Plus it is red, always a bonus.

The best part though about working 12 hour shifts is that David feels bad for me so when I come home he has really good dinner waiting for me. The other night he made potato skins with all sorts of fillings. Last night he made home-made crab cakes. Don't you just hate me with jealousy?

Now I have five days off. We haven't planned anything beyond going to the gym in about another hour today. But I'm sure we will get up to some kind of trouble.

5 comments:

  1. I *am* jealous - at least about your days off - and wishing this was the weekend I was going to be visiting. ::pout:: The other stuff you are talking about just amazes me. Hospitals and nurses are, in my experience, where I've found comfort and relief from maladies I didn't know what to do about at the hands of people I knew nothing about, but appreciated for their knowledge and compassion. Luckily, none of my stays were very long and mostly pregnancy related. I cannot recall any names, but my memories are of kind efficiency and occasional humor that calmed me. Thanks all you people who chose such a profession of service to those whose hands hang down.
    You found a RED stethocope????? Do you want some red clogs to go with it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ben Stiller, for future reference, "harumph" is way funnier than "humph". I don't know why, but it is so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peggyfaa, he already has red crocs to go with it. Oh, were they yellow and not red? I can't remember. Either way, they match. Especially if he wears royal blue scrubs....

    I bought the fancy expensive steth when I started school (purely by accident) and have always hated using anyone elses (because I can't hear either with cheap ones).

    I hear you on, the more I learn, the more I realize the less I know, but I still gain confidence. Nursing is just plain weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are yellow, and they don't match any of my scrubs. If I can find the ones without holes in them I want some of the army green ones with the orange ankle strap. That will match anything. But I'm too afraid of the ones with holes, it is just too big of a gross-out risk.

    ReplyDelete