Sunday, August 26, 2007

Reason #398 I love my mom...

This weekend my mom was here. We had a nice dinner at Annie's in Dupont Circle, she took us to Costco for some food shopping, we went to the Iwo Jima Memorial, we made her cry showing her a photo montage I'd put together. We saw the movie "Stardust", which ties "Die Hard" as my favorite movie of the summer. Very inventive, clever, a great story with magic and plenty of laughs. Michelle Pfieffer must have had so much fun. And dang she is gorgeous.

But we also went to the "Bodies" exhibit, the one where they've dissected human bodies and filled it with some kind of plastic polymer so you can see all the muscles and arteries and organs and stuff. I believe there are some competing exhibits around the country, and this is probably the knock-off one, but it was still totally amazing. We had such a great time looking around. I even got to show off some medical knowledge when my mom started asking questions about anatomy and physiology stuff. But on the way out there was a sign that said something like "Ten body parts have names that are only three letters long, can you name them?" So we think and the conversation goes like this:

I say, "Eye."
Mom says, "Toe."
David says, "Arm."
I say, "Leg."
Mom says, "Lip."
David says, "Ear."

Pause.

Then my mom says, "Ass."

I have memories of my mom swearing about twice in my entire life, so needless to say I almost fell off the bench in laughter. Later, David came up with "Tit", but the little boy that he is, he couldn't bring himself to say the word in front of my mother so he spelled it out for us. I just don't think I could love my family any more than I do, they are all so darn adorable!!

5 comments:

  1. that's really sweet. and now i'm sitting here trying to figure out what the other ones are.

    hip?
    spl
    een?

    ok, nevermind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Moms cursing is one of the highlights of human existence, as far as I'm concerned. Right up there with enlightenment and pastries from Flying Star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I've heard of that particular exhibit. I don't think I could handle it. Do you think that when those people donated their bodies to science they had any idea they be displayed for thousands of people to observe with their insides on the outsides?!?! Here they think, "I'm making a contribute to the progression of medical science." Not, "I hope tiny children aren't horrified to see my spleen when on a school field trip." Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. jaw?
    gut?
    theres another one i thought of but it is soooo dirty i dont want to say.

    ReplyDelete