Thursday, June 5, 2008

Thinking aloud at 2 am

Fact: the two of us can fly to Costa Rica for the same price that one of us could fly to Idaho. Does anyone else think this is weird?

I was always thinking that I would get all involved in the politics of the presidential election this year. I mean, it is all historic, I'm super excited about one of the candidates, and no matter how it turns out, things are going to get better than they have been. But with this long, protracted primary, I've just been thinking, well, I'll get around to it once the nominee is official. Now it is, yet STILL it really isn't, since Mrs. Clinton won't concede. I'm just tired of it at this point. I want to celebrate, but part of me is still waiting for her other shoe to drop. Anyway, we'll see if I get back into it. For the moment, I still just can't deal. Once it is all sorted out (which one would assume would be soon), perhaps I'll start talking policies.

I know I should also say something about California. I mean, in a few weeks we could actually get married, which is pretty fantastic. I mean, that is something I've been waiting for for a long time. And if it were happening here in DC, or if we were still living there, no doubt I'd be all over that. But the idea of taking a vacation to California just to get married, and then to come home and not have that marriage recognized anyway, well, is less than exciting. I mean, I want my marriage to be about family, not about making a political statement. Don't get me wrong, I think it is totally awesome, and will be affirming to many, many families out there. Since it may well be a limited time offer, perhaps we are foolish not to take advantage. But I'm just so resistant to making what should be a public affirmation of a personal vow turned into any kind of "statement". And besides, what kind of wedding could you plan in this short of time? You just know all the good ice-sculpturists are booked. ::grin::

My body is still not really adjusting to night shifts, but I sure like actually working nights over days. I had a patient the last two nights that is a doctor, and while he was actually ok, his wife, who never left his side, was a pain in everyone's side. The day shift had headache after headache dealing with her petty demands. "It is ABSOLUTELY UNACCEPTABLE that this meal tray is still in the room two hours after dinner!" she seethed. Er, really? But for me, once I established that I wouldn't ignore her (and took out the offending tray), they both settled down and went to sleep for seven straight hours. Awesome. On the other hand I had another patient in alcohol withdrawal. It took 18 mg of Ativan spread out over the shift just to keep him from trying to leave the unit. Just as I left they were putting him in restraints, which I had avoided, but day shift has too much going on to watch him like I did. (I felt really bad for his roommate, shared rooms simply suck.)

So do I have any SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE fans? I've decided that Cat Deely is my favorite reality show host after Probst. She isn't afraid to get in there and mix with the contestants, even if she is eight feet tall and witheringly gorgeous. I'm finding the judges are starting to get a little elitist, which in their defense is a shark Idol crossed a lot earlier, but still it is a little disappointing. That said, the show is still much more focused on the really talented people over the mentally ill or fame whores. Some of those dancers just take my breath away. Can't wait to find out the top 20! Also, yay to more Mandy Moore! She was my favorite choreographer last season, I hope we see much, much more of her! (And please, please, less of Adam Shenkman.)

We also watched the first episode of the LEGALLY BLONDE casting show. It is just fun seeing people you know on TV. I'm not sure where they are going to go with the show, I mean, are the girls going to have to do lame challenges? They seemed to get a lot of the singing and dancing auditions out of the way pretty quick. But I'm hoping for the best. I mean, it can't be any worse than the Grease one, right? Just keep them singing and I'll be happy.

We tried to go on a walk tonight, but we were driven in by a storm. Guess a tornado touched down not too far away. Freaky! We just got a lot of rain. Now it is supposed to be in the upper 90's the rest of the week. Talk about a quick adjustment into summer! But I won't complain. 98 is far preferable to 48.

I work again tomorrow night, and then this weekend we want to do some shopping, which is something we haven't done in a long time. Just a bunch of little projects we need to get finished. Plus a big, TOP SECRET one.

4 comments:

  1. It's kinda fun to know you are checking out Idaho flight prices - that's much closer to Las Vegas and you might come here too since we also have a lil' one to show off. But Costa Rica sounds wonderful....
    You really should be here to watch Melissa learning nursery rhymes and fairy tales. She bought a bunch of books to read to Jackson. She comes up to me today and says, "The wolf EATS the two little pigs?????!!!!" Then she investigates further to find out the gingerbread man gets eaten, and yep, you know it, Lil' Red Riding Hood's grandma, too! She can't believe we think it's Ok to read this stuff to our kids!!! What a perspective, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many things to comment on...

    First, Hilary will conced and back Obama in a speech this Saturday. I am on her mailing list and she sent out a wonderful note of thanks.

    Second, Coming to California to get married is not a political statement. What you need to find out is if Washington DC recognizes out of state marriages. New York does, and they are prepared to recognize same sex marriages performed in California. Besides, wouldn't it be fun to be each others witnesses???

    Third, So You Think You Can Dance is the BEST reality show EVER!! I to love Cat and the way she is with the dancers. She genuinely cares for them. I agree, no more Adam Shenkman. He is so annoying. I love Mandy Moore. I loved the first round when Mia Michaels had a slip of the tounge with the creepy Italian stripper.

    Finally, come to California, get married visit us, hang out. You have a place to stay! I know it's no where near as nice as your posh DC home, but hey you can get married here! :) Miss you!! Oh, and it's close to Las Vegas too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, was that an announcement? ::wink::

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is if you and David are coming to California to witness... Although I should probably talk to Jeffrey before making such statements. teehee

    ReplyDelete