Saturday, June 28, 2008

Summer Dancing Pt. 2

I love the format of SYTYCD. I love that while America gets to chose the bottom three couple, the judges, who should know better, get to pick who actually gets to go home. I love that the dancers get one last chance to "dance for their life", and to show what makes them so special outside of perhaps just picking a bad dance out of the hat. It is good television, and it spares us the drama American Idol gives us from "Vote for the worst" spoiler campaigns. In theory, I should pretty much be pretty satisfied with what the judges decide, because they SHOULD NOT BE SO STUPID. I rarely understand their rationales, but booting Chelsea this week was totally lame. All of the dancers are great, I'm not bagging on either of the other girls, but Chelsea, to me, is one of the top competitors. The judges seem to have an inferiority complex about the beat boys and girls, and tend to keep them around way longer than they should. Comfort has plenty to offer, but I don't understand keeping her over the super fun Chelsea. Plus, she is probably the most gorgeous girl the show has ever had. Well, next to Cat anyways. I thought the biggest problem of her dance was the totally bad music choice. I mean, Phil Collins, are you serious? How is anyone supposed to enjoy that?

Otherwise, I was glad to see Chris go. He is a real trooper, and really went for it with all that he had, and I totally admire that. But it was still all a little deer-in-the-headlights for me.

Thayne and Comfort? I don't see that working, but let's hope.

Twitchington is still my favorite. But Mark and Chelsie had some pretty darn terrific choreography to work with (Again!), and really made the most of it. (see video above, the dancing starts at about 2:30 in) Mark is totally weird, but he looked great in that suit.

Matt should never, and I mean never, wear the ninja mask again. Don't get me wrong, I love ninjas as much as the next guy who loves ninjas. But it somehow just came off as a creepy attempt at personality. I cannot look at Thayne without thinking of the movie "Strictly Ballroom". He just looks Australian to me, which I know is weird, but there it is. He is a bit over the top for me, but I love the way his body moves when he dances.

Oh, and the wacked out opening number was probably my favorite opening number ever. Weird, and it is always frustrating that you can't always tell who the dancers are with all the costume and makeup and quick camera edits. But even at their worst, these group numbers are always far more entertaining than the embarrassing cruise-ship medleys they make the American Idols sing.

No. More. Shenkman.

1 comment:

  1. OMG, I totally agree with everything your said!! I knew that Chris was going home when he was in the bottom three, and thought that it would be Chelsea or Kourtney, as you said they have thing for the B-Boy and Girls. Whatever. What bugged me most was that they laid into Chris and Comfort for their routine, which was not the best, but at least they hit everything, and then proceeded to commend Will, who dropped his partner, and couldn't get a lift to save his life. They clearly have their favorites.

    I love the B-Boy routine with Hoc and Dominick. That was really fun. I then got the biggest kick out of Cat. She was as far away from Dominick as possible. You know she told the director to put her up there, so he couldn't get close. LOL!!

    BTW, Jeffrey is going to call you guys soon about the thing with the email and what not... :)

    ReplyDelete