Thursday, February 28, 2008

Survivor, or how to manipulate your teammates for fun and profit

Usually the first four episodes of Survivor are a little bit of treading water. It is time to get to know all the characters, and allow some trimming of the weaker players that you don't really care about getting to know anyway. Every once in a while someone will, you know, declare that they have found love-at-first-sight with a member of the other team, but that kind of award-winning television doesn't often come this early.

So far, this season is breaking records and upping the ante for totally excellent Tribal Council shenanigans, and I, for one, couldn't be more pleased.

So we get the Penner/Cirie bickering right out of the way, which is fine with me. I like them both, but they are bringing out the absolute worst in each other. Fighting is only good as a motivator for devising some seriously devious outwit strategy. Otherwise it is just uncomfortable and boring. James is up to his usual tricks of refusing to let me decide if he is a hero or a villain. I was all over the map last season, and he is doing it to me again. Suddenly he turns into a bitch over Eliza. Now, I'm hardly an Eliza fan, but there is no need to be rude and dismissive. What kind of a team leader is that? Also, in a game where you never know who is going to be on that jury voting for or against you, it is simply stupid to pick meaningless fights like that with people. In any case, he has now cleared the way to make Ozzy my number one pick. (For now anyway.)

Speaking of Ozzy, he rocked out the reward challenge, as usual. What was funny is that early on Joel yells out to his team to take notice of Ozzy's strategy, but then they apparently ignore the advice. And lose. I was annoyed with them anyway though, because after all the talk about how pathetic Chet is, they decide to sit him out of a reward challenge, guaranteeing he will be competing in the immunity challenge? Dumb. Funnier was that they lost before half of their team even did anything, so it didn't even matter.

Color me unsurprised that Ozzy found the immunity idol. I'm so over Kathy, who seems to enjoy hanging out with the celebrities but otherwise has totally checked out of the game. I'd been assuming there would be two idols, one for each team member, but since there was only one I'm glad Ozzy got it. I bet the producers are mad that he found it alone, since apparently their plan was that two people would find it together and then have a Jungle Deathmatch for the spoils. I think it would have been more interesting to have two. I love it when people start cross-team alliances and strategies. How fun would it be if Exile Island was the lap of luxury, giving them time to really bond and make friends with each other? Anyhoo, it cracks me up that Ozzy must be out searching for quite a long time, but Kathy seems to accept that he is crab-hunting the entire time.

The immunity challenge we've seen before, but it is a decent one. With all the sick Eliza editing I'd been assuming they would lose, but instead they rock out and just kill the other team again. Ouch. And then, with everything seeming to be pointing to a simple Chet elimination, Tracy stops, knocks on the glass of the TV screen, beckons me over and gives me a full kiss on the mouth. She approaches Joel with some coconut milk in her hand and within seconds he is lapping it up. "I can't believe you are letting Mikey run the show like this. I'm actually kind of mad at you about it, letting yourself get played like that." Holy crap I love her. "This is your one chance, after this you won't have the numbers anymore, and he will get rid of you the first chance he gets". I know she is playing him, but she is so good even I almost believe she is being sincere. Joel seems to waver, but though I thought Tracy played it pitch perfect, I just can't see him falling for it with Chet sitting on the log one calorie away from falling into a hypoglycemic coma.

Then comes tribal, and the fraternal twins are having a disagreement. The dark haired dude who mysteriously appeared last week out of nowhere is talking about how they need to focus on tribe strength. Then Blondie is all "Physical strength isn't everything." Then my darling Tracy comes out with a devastating critique of her teammates. "Chet, Kathy and I didn't participate in the last two challenges at all, and you still lost." Sha-zam! She totally owned them! Tracy, no matter what happens after this, I officially welcome you as one of my Favorite Survivors of All Time. Brunette dude gets visibly nervous at that and literally starts pleading with his team to vote off the weakest person. But Mikey, who had already been annoying me with his "you have to give a little to get a little" attempt at strong-arming Joel, heads bitterly into the darkness.

The thing is, I have very little love for Chet or Kathy. They both seem to have given up, which is lame and boring and any other number of pathetic descriptors. But they served a purpose tonight, as much as the other two invisible girls did who voted for Chet. In a situation where the strong are being targeted far earlier than normal, I'm afraid they might make it farther than I'd like. But as long as I'm getting these kinds of tribal councils, I can't say that I really care.

Next week it looks like we have a team trade, which will shake things up. I really hope that instead of randomly picking teams, they do it four and four so they are forced to make cross-team alliances in order to survive. That is far more interesting than like last season where they just traded two making tribal council totally uninteresting for a couple of weeks. Gotta make 'em work for it.

3 comments:

  1. Love your recap, but not quite as much as I loved that bitch slap that Tracy gave them at council. That was truly inspired, and even seemed to get a "hmm, I think she's right" look from the soon-to-be-gone Mikey.

    We both forgot to mention the Jason interruption of Probst as they were set to vote. Jeff looked visibly shaken there for a second - not upset, just shocked. Doesn't happen all that often.

    Dumb as it might have been for down the road, I loved loved loved James' abuse of Eliza. She bugs the crap out of me, and rude as it might have been, you gotta admit it was funny as hell.

    I like Chet, weak as he may be, thoug I wish he would smile a bit more. He has such a hangdog look to him the whole time. Kathy can leave now for all I care, and she can take Chris "Hanson" Atkins with her - that guy's a tool, to put it nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right, Jason did interrupt Probst for his last minute plea. Jeff is usually so omnisciently stoic, but that seemed to surprise him as much as Fairplay wanting a hug.

    Yes, what James said was funny, I can't disagree. But still poor form for a team leader. What really bugs me most is that he made me feel sorry for Eliza, and I'm mad at him for complicating my previously comfortable dislike of her. (Oh, I also loved it when Parvati called her out with her "Eliza is throwing Jonathan under the bus, but at this point that is what she needs to do I guess.")

    I would be fine with Chet if it didn't seem like he had just given up. Kathy too frankly. I loved it when Tracy dressed them down. Unfortunately it didn't seem to make much of a difference. Hopefully Tracy will find a better alliance after the mixup next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm afraid I've become a sucker for the whole "fans v. favs" and am finding myself week by week caring less and less about the fans and getting more invested in the favs, who I already have attachments to (or resentments against). I'm glad to hear that we're looking at some mixing it up next week, as that will force me to pay more attention to the "other tribe members" who currently aren't really registering on my radar.

    I was a huge Ozzy fan in the past and am delighted at his find. His physical dominance commands my respect (and probably a little sheer animal attraction too... sorry.)

    Was glad to see so little attention paid to the Cirie v. Jonathan Penner situation. I definitely needed a break from their little junior high bitch fest.

    At this point, a little mixing of the tribes is a welcome and inevitable shift in the game, to keep it fair and interesting. Maybe I'll be inspired to care a little mroe about the fans. I'm willing to be open!

    And Robb, I definitely love you for more than your Survivor recaps, most excellent as they may be....

    ReplyDelete