Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Trying to sleep my days away, but so far not succeeding...

Had a good weekend at work, but nothing particularly funny or interesting. I'm working three nights in a row this coming weekend, so I'm trying to stay up late and sleep in to get ready, but boy is it hard for me to sleep when the sun is up. I stayed up until 2am last night, and still couldn't sleep past nine this morning, and even that took a lot of effort. Staying up late with nothing but TV as company isn't the most fun thing either. I mean, how many episodes of "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" can you watch before Ty Pennington's megaphone makes you want to kill yourself? (Answer: one.) I really need to get a book or something. A friend recommended "The Witching Hour" by Anne Rice. Has anyone else read that one?

So have all y'all who are Idol fans seen the youtube of David Archuleta singing "And I am Telling You" to Kelly Clarkson when he was 11? What is amazing about this to me, is that not only did he know that song years before the movie came out and made it popular again, but that as an eleven year old kid he wasn't embarrassed to bust out singing in a crowded hotel lobby in front of a celebrity. That takes some cojones, especially for a pre-teen. I thought most of the guys did better last night than last week, but still I think this is David's competition to lose. I think the other David has the best voice, and was glad he did so much better, but he isn't as comfortable with the performing aspect. The Aussie is a fantastic performer, but his voice is pretty thin. Chickizi, bless his heart, needs to let someone else start dressing him stat, cause he has the worst taste in clothes like, ever. (And this is coming from someone who likes colors.) I was ready for him to go after last week, and this week I thought he sang terrific. Unlike the judges I really liked the performance of the guy who has the blonde streak in his black hair. However I can't get too upset with any criticism of him because I HATE THE BLONDE STREAK and need it to be out of my world as soon as possible. Also suffering from bad hair choices are the rocker with the red-streaked hair who looks too much like Jack Black for me to take him serious, and the gay boy with full on girl hair.

Mostly I'm afraid it is time for the judges to retire. Simon seems to have gotten to the point where he hates his job, I mean he just seems miserable to have to be there. The other two still obviously enjoy it, but they have both completely exhausted their library of comments and insight. Whereas I used to love hearing Randy try to make a new attempt at coining a catchphrase, and I used to love watching Paula channel another dimension in attempts to cling to coherency in her ramblings, and where Simon used to be a mean but say-it-like-it-is kind of guy, at this point I'm just getting bored with their infighting. I love Ryan with the singers, he has good rapport with them, but as soon as he start trying to bait Simon he gets insufferably tedious. We need some new blood, or something. I love the singing, but it seems Idol isn't aging as well as, say, Survivor.

Oh, yeah, the Oscars. Got home in time from work to watch, but I fell asleep before the end. I'd seen like three of the nominated movies so I just didn't really care all that much. David loves the Hollywood glamour of it all, and you'd think I would too, but all that inane reading of the teleprompter annoys me. Really, writers, I love you, but that's all you got? Jon Stewart was funny, and I did giggle at the Halle Berry/Judi Dench bit. Is it sad though that my favorite part was Jennifer Garner getting accosted by Gary Busey on the red carpet? As someone who totally hearts Amy Adams and actually enjoyed "Enchanted", I thought all three songs came across terribly. Poor Amy Adams was abandoned in the middle of a huge stage with a novelty song that doesn't make much sense without a bunch of dancing cockroaches, and even Kristin Chenoweth seemed nervous and awkward with all the silly staging of her song. I've heard several people say they are now going to steer clear of the movie, which is a shame, because while it is hardly groundbreaking or whatever, it is very sweet and charming.

3 comments:

  1. I loved the Witching Hour and the subsequent "witch" books by Anne Rice. It's hard to get into in the beginning, but it's worth it going forward. If you read the Vampire chronicles she does bring them together rather nicely in the end. If you like murder mystery pick anything by Stuart Woods. They are quick reads and fun. You may also like anything in the Dirk Pitt series by Clive Cussler. The beginning of his books have some historical significance and it's all about the sea. There's my three cents... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been reading a series of police detective novels (about a character named Kurt Wallander) by an author named Henning Mankell. They're really entertaining but not over the top. Good middle of the night reading.

    The closest I get to Idol are your blogs and my dad's comments. Since I can't watch on the computer (and we are DVR-less, sniff) there's no way to watch without incurring BB's disdain, so I go without. I thought the same thing last year (Idol needs new critic blood). At least give us a guest judge each week or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a big fan of detective novels. I used to read them a lot as a kid, but as I've gotten older I find crime dramas just depressing. By the same token I can't watch CSI or Law and Order or any of those kinds of shows, because they always show the human element at its worst, and the revenge/justice aspect of the bad guy getting caught just isn't enough satisfaction for me.

    I went through a big phase of only reading non-fiction, especially autobiographies, because listening to (or, reading) people talk about their lives is just interesting. But the last year or so, I've really just been in the mood to escape, so I'd love to get into a great fantasy series, like a Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings kind of thing. I'm afraid Anne Rice is going to be way too dark for me (I'm so NOT a fan of the anti-hero), but I'm willing to give it a try.

    Stopped by the library and a used bookstore, but neither had any Anne Rice at all. So I'm stuck with some totally trashy Stephen King thing about Cellphones turning people into zombies or something, I haven't gotten very far yet, which isn't a good sign. If I like a book, I often won't put it down until I'm finished.

    ReplyDelete