Wednesday, March 5, 2008

All this March sunshine is making me happy

My dad came to town for business, and stayed with us last night. He has 20-year old memories of some amazing Mexican restaurant which we tried - and failed - to find. However the place where we did end up was having burrito special night, and I had a rather delicious BBQ chicken burrito that gave me Happy Tummy. Also they had cinnamon ice-cream for dessert, and as everyone knows, cinnamon ice-cream is corporeal joy.

Dad drove the rental car, and quietly showed off his mad driving skills with a deft job of parallel parking. He even apologized that he was maybe two inches away from the curb. But here is one reason my dad is awesome - before I could get my compliment out, he started telling this 30-year old story about this one time when my mom was driving and, the way he tells it, made parallel parking history neatly fitting in her 40 foot long car in a 40.2 foot space. My dad is totally crushing on my mom because she once parked a car. I think it is adorable.

I worked three nights in a row this weekend. Physically it was tough, I tried all week to stay up late and sleep during the day, but besides feeling jet-lagged all the time, my body fought back and I got sick. I hardly ever get sick, and it totally annoys me. Of course I was able to ignore it while I was working, but within a half hour of leaving work on my last shift I could barely speak. Sometimes I don't know where I get my jock-adrenaline from, but it sure comes in handy. The good part is that I have a few days off to recover, and David has two weeks to get it and get over it before we go on vacation to Florida.

Oh, my favorite part of the weekend, was this little old lady who was sharing a room with a patient of mine. She was very confused, and while I was checking some equipment on my patient I could hear her nurse trying to assess her orientation. She couldn't remember what year it was, or where she was, or pretty much anything. Finally the nurse asked her if she knew who the president was.

"Well," she replied carefully, "it isn't Clinton anymore."
"You are right about that." the nurse said, "But can you remember who it is?"
She thought a few moments, and finally exclaimed "Oh, yes, it is President Obama!"

Well, at least we know she has been paying some attention to current events. Or she is psychic, who knows? lol

Yesterdays primary decided little, as I suppose was expected. I keep hearing all this chatter, mostly from Fox News (hey, my dad was here, so I let him watch, though I did force him to change to CNN when Karl Rove came on, even I have limits), about how the Democrats are going to destroy themselves choosing between Clinton and Obama. But I just don't get it. While I am certainly suffering from primary fatigue and would love it to be over, I don't really see why people think this it is so terrible that we have two great candidates to choose from. Yeah, they are going to play every advantage, and they are going to fight a little. But so far the only time I've been upset is over Hillary trying to change the rules in the middle of the game to allow the Michigan and Florida elections to count after the other candidates agreed not to campaign there. That's lame. But otherwise all it shows is, again, that we have two great candidates and are having a tough time choosing which one would be "best". That is a choice I can live with. I find Obama inspiring, something I never thought I'd find in a politician, so he remains my choice. But either one will appoint the right supreme court judges.

I finished that Stephen King novel about cell phones killing off mankind. Or whatever it was about, I don't know, it was so poorly written that I'd go paragraphs without remembering anything. And even when I'd realize I'd done it, I'd rarely go back to catch up. I did read another book called "Hero", about a teenage boy who is coming out as gay and as a superhero at the same time, which was kind of interesting if a bit simple. I'm thinking of grabbing something like "Treasure Island", which I've never read. I'm just afraid it is going to make me start fantasizing about living on a deserted island again, and I've already been down that road. We also just Netflixed "Oliver Twist", the Polanski version, and it was so boring that I'm not convinced reading a classic is really what I want either. I mean, really, does Oliver actually DO anything? He is worse than Harry Potter, just reacting to everything around him rather than actually accomplishing anything himself.

Special note to Rick, Jeffrey and Erin - we are going to have super fun when you come visit! And now I know a great place to get burritos!

2 comments:

  1. Burritos? If anyone knows burritos it's you. I remember our last trip to NYC before you moved, we had... wait for it... burritos! We are SOOOOOO EXCITED to see you guys and DC (it's really more abut you and David). I wish it were here already! I can't wait!!! (Can you tell I am excited)...

    I have to agree with your political assesment. For the first time it's not about the lesser of two evils. Whomever we pick will beat McCain.

    If you want a good classic read Pride and Prejudice. It's one of my favorites. I am also about to start "Three Cups of Tea," which is supposed to be good.

    Anyway, is it April yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. agreed. i mean, how can it be bad that there are MULTIPLE good, qualified candidates? it's a politicos dream. :)

    ReplyDelete