Wednesday, January 2, 2008

I heart Amy Adams, plus Virginia wants to kill you in its restaurants

So my fantabulous seven day vacation has come to an end. Tomorrow I go back to work, and have to pay for those days off by working six days in a row. Three days, three nights, but of course not in a row, a day, night, night, day, day, night. I'm gonna die probably, and it has been nice knowing you all. But still, it was worth it spending all this quality time at home, we actually got a bunch of stuff done, including backing up my harddrive onto an external hard drive we bought in, oh, say June. But it is finally done!

We did go see "Enchanted", which I was a little embarrassed about, but there were only two actual families with kids there, the rest of us were all, uh, overage. It is a cute movie, with some funny Disney references (go Judy Kuhn!) and of course I always enjoy a nice Alan Menkin melody. The reason we went though, was the day before on Netflix we watched a movie called "Junebug", and we both completely fell in love with Amy Adams, so had to get another fix. I guess she is in that "Charlie Wilson's War" too, but that one looks way more boring. "Junebug" is sort of weird, and I didn't "get" all of it, but Amy Adams and the other lady in it give such great performances. Well, they all do really, but those two really stand out as special. If you like Indie movies, don't miss that one. And now I love Amy Adams even more that I found out she does all her own singing in "Enchanted". Won't some Hollywood producer make all my dreams come true and make a movie with her, Toni Collette and Allison Janney in it?

We went Italian for our anniversary dinner, which was delicious. But the best part was our waiter. After we sat he came over and whispered something that only the chandelier could have possibly heard. So I did what any normal person would do, I smiled and said "I'll have a water." Then he looked at David, so I guess I said the right thing. David ordered a peach/raspberry iced tea. A few minutes later he comes back with our drinks. He looks at David and says "psss psss pss peach pss pss pss raspberry pss pss pss?" David smiled and said "Okay". So the guy leaves. "What did he say?" I asked. "I have no idea" says David. A second later the waiter comes back with another glass half filled with slices of peaches and walks away. "Huh" we say in unison.

I never did understand a thing he tried to say to us, although I guess we were good at guessing because whatever we said back to him seemed to be the right thing. Or maybe he would go back to the waiters station saying "these two guys are totally crazy, nothing they say makes any sense to what I'm asking them!" Anyway, it kept us laughing the entire night. I gave him 20%, even though he never gave David any more iced tea or peaches.

The worst part was while we were waiting for a table there was a couple smoking at the bar. As if I needed another reason to hate Virginia. David couldn't handle it, so we had to wait outside for a few minutes until our table was ready. Another guy came outside to smoke, but had the courtesy to do it both outside and downwind. At least some Virginians still have some manners.

Despite myself I can't help getting excited over the Iowa primaries. We humans are just wired to love contests. At this contest is going to be anything but boring.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you saw Enchanted. We saw Charlie Wilson's War and she was probably the best thing in that film. I read the book, and it provided so much more information. Aaron Sorkin is very liberal bias, and that was apparent in the film. The bottom line is that we armed the Afghan's and they paid us back by arming Bin Laden. OK, there is so much more, but not anything I am going to write here.

    I can't wait until the Iowa caucuses (sp?) are over. This is the part of our great land that I love. But, like you said we all love contests (some more then others, Survivor)...

    Please don't die over the next six days. We are making our plans and if you croak David will have to deal with me, and I know he makes you do that... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy Adams is also in Talladega Nights, if you're interested. ;) It's a smallish but important role.

    Is smoking banned in bars in Virginia?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Six days in a row (with alternating nights/days) would most certainly be lethal to me. Wow. Did you really agree to that or did they threaten your family to coerce you into it? Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw Talladega Nights, but I don't remember her. I did see the movie in a hotel room with a bunch of other people, so perhaps wasn't paying the best attention, though I remember thinking it was way funnier than I'd expected. Also, I think my brain sort of fried after seeing Will Ferrell running around in his underwear, everything after that is sort of a painful blur.

    Radha: I'd been thinking of switching out one of the days in the middle, but my BFF Tiffany is coming to visit next weekend so I didn't want to work then either. Anyway, it will be a good experiment to see what my tolerance really is. I didn't think I'd be able to handle a single night shift a week either, but that turned out to be easy.

    ReplyDelete