Sunday, January 6, 2008

How far you can walk into a forest? Halfway.

Three down, three to go.

The good news is that my body, unbelievably, seems to have little problem at all staying up for night shifts. I just finished my second in a row, and while there were definitely some yawns of gargantuan proportion, I wasn't ever fighting sleepiness or anything. Also, I love night shifts. It is all so much quieter, I love tucking a patient into bed and then not really doing more than peeking in to make sure they are still asleep and breathing every few hours.

The bad news is that, come end of shift, my body loses its sweet survival mode protections, and I come home and feel like I spent the night partying with Paris Hilton. Dang I'm wiped out. And now I have to go back and work two more busy weekdays. ::sigh::

Other fun events: cleaning actively bleeding wounds so bad the patient started sobbing on eye contact. (We love you dilauted!) A French woman who enjoyed refusing to let anyone but me touch her. Actually she didn't really like me touching her either, but she couldn't resist flirting a bit and I took the opening and ran with it. Distraction can be a great tool. Another guy who only spoke Spanish, again reminding me how badly I want to speak Spanish. At least I could say "tiene dolor?" or "esta bien?" every so often. The best part with him was drawing some blood, and one of the caps came off the tube and I spilled blood all down my pants and on my shoe, which isn't nearly as funny as it sounds. David saved the day with that one with some expert use of hydrogen peroxide and saved my favorite scrubs, but I still had to walk around for about three hours with blood on me, like, gross. Oh, and how can we forget the lovely doctor who started a patient on a heparin drip who is such an impossible stick that her "daily" labs had to be rewritten to be done only on days she has dialysis. The night doc finally had to come and do an arterial stick on her, but used a heparinized tube so the results were all skewed and useless. I had to leave that mess for the poor day shift. I hope they figure that one out before tomorrow.

So despite the headache, I'm halfway through my six day marathon. It hasn't really been that bad, I just wonder when the mental fatigue is going to really hit me. Because it will.

Better news for the future though, BFF Tiffany is coming to visit next weekend. Woo hoo! I hope the weather cooperates so we can get out of the house for some adventuring.

I think I should go sweet talk David into making me some waffles, I need some comfort food.

No comments:

Post a Comment