Friday, January 11, 2008

If this is winter I might like it here after all

Well, I made it. In the end I was more mentally exhausted than physically. In fact I'm pretty amazed at how well my body held up. I remember not too long ago where I was afraid I'd never be able to stay up for night shifts, much less one that had a day shift on either side of it. I have no plans to try six in a row again, but at least I know that if push came to shove I can do it.

My favorite patient of the adventure cracked me up the last night. On a fellow nurse "That one is very pretty. She is a piece of cake." On Ellen Degeneres "I don't like that woman. She scares me." She kept saying that to thank me for taking care of her she wanted to make me dinner. Later a commercial came on her TV for a hot tub, and she told me she would buy me one. (I got the distinct impression she's bought gifts like that before for people.) I just have this image of her in her youth, a high society free spirit. People are just awesome.

Then there was the other patient who was watching coverage of the primaries, who said he was for Huckabee. When I said I liked Obama, he said incredulously "But he is a Muslim!". ::head in hands:: We kept the tone light, but then later he offered "Well, I hate Guiliani for two reasons. One, he likes abortion. Two, he wants to let the gays get married." I wanted to say, well, this gay is about to give you a blood transfusion, so perhaps you shouldn't be so rude. lol Other than that he was a good patient though, a very spry 80 years old. Plus he was pooping blood, so I gave him a pass.

Tonight BFF Tiffany arrives from NY for a few days. Tomorrow we are going to another friends house to see his new baby and have fondue. But this guy is going to make the fondue cheese from scratch, which excites me to no end. I'm always excited when I have extreme culinary delight in my near future.

Is anyone watching Project Runway? I love that show. And this season everyone is so ridiculously *nice* to each other, all helpful and encouraging. I love it. Who says you can't be a diva without being a total bitch? However I'm starting to feel the pain of the writers strike. I need my Pushing Daisies!!

David is experimenting and is making gnocci for dinner tonight, which I'm looking forward to, so I should probably get back downstairs and offer my help, even though I'm rather pathetic in the anything but washing dishes department in the kitchen. (Except for baking of course.) We're also hoping to take down the Christmas tree tonight, and that is going to be a mess.

Oh, and just for grins, here is another reason why the 70's were super-bitchin'. The longer you watch, the more it hypnotizes you until by the end you wonder how you've survived all these years without this particular piece of joy in your lives. Also, Karen Carpenter is flawless. It's a fact. It's indisputable.

2 comments:

  1. Wow. That song never made it into the biopic I saw of her years ago. Wonder why? :) She was my idol when I was a kid. My dad played their records all the time.

    Congrats on making it through the six with such grace and dignity. You're definitely my idol in the nursing endurance departmen! I made it through ACLS this week and have my official card that says I can now shock anyone who goes into pulseless vtach or vfib. As soon as possible, thanks. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robb! Hey sounds like you guys are doing great! Just thought that I would say hello and send a hug your way. Good job on the six in a row! I don't think I have reached that kind of stamina yet! Although I have pulled a couple 15-16 hour shifts!

    Drop me a line sometime!

    ReplyDelete