Thursday, December 27, 2007

Sweeney Todd, the not-very-nice barber of Fleet Street

So, Sweeney Todd. I wish I could just transcribe the conversation David and I had after we saw it, because we had a lot of good observations to make, but now that I've made them I've forgotten what they were. ::grin::

Short story: go see it. All musicals are worth seeing, flaws and all. Tim Burton is perhaps a better visualist than he is a storyteller, but I'm pretty sure that if you could peer into his head just for even a second you would never have to drink or do drugs again.

Longer story: I'm happy the movie is getting so many amazing reviews, because I always want every musical to be a big hit so that the studios will keep making more. But in my heart of hearts, I think the reviewers are thinking the same thing, and so are being rather generous. Full disclosure: I've never seen a production on stage, although I have seen the video of the original production. As someone who HATES watching video of live stage performances, I didn't really get into that either. However I love the story, and I think the music ties with "A Little Night Music" for my favorite Sondheim score. It is deliciously wicked, and for the most part I thought the score was well-utilized in the movie. Yes, they cut some of the best music out, and complete verses were sliced out faster than the jugulars were. But I have no problem with reconceptualization, and ultimately didn't have a problem with all the missing chorus numbers. The world of a movie musical is a tough world to build in modern times, yet having the singing seem natural is key for a movie being emotionally stirring. Moulin Rouge made it work, Chicago made it work. Heck, the musical episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer found a *perfect* conceit to make it work for them, so we know it can happen.

I'm also generally fine with casting actors over singers. Especially for a movie, where a good voice can't save the actor in a close-up. However, I would still prefer that the actors can sing at least moderately well. In this sense, I thought Johnny Depp was surprisingly good. He isn't going to win American Idol anytime soon mind you, but still he had some very satisfying vocals. Jayne Wisner as Johanna also had a piercing soprano I found rather enjoyable, at least as far as sopranos go. But other than that, the rest ranged from unremarkable to pretty miserable. I love Alan Rickman, but, well, I'll leave it at the but.

I don't even know where to start with Helena Bonham Carter, or HBC. "Worst Pies In London" was dreadful, losing most of the humor in the song in exchange for some sight gags with cockroaches. I was all for the idea of having a less powerful, younger and sexier Mrs. Lovett, but the idea seems to have worked out about as well as Bernadette Peters in Gypsy. But at least Bernadette tore it up with "Rose's Turn". Well, to be fair, I started to warm up to HBC a little when her motherly side came out near the end with Toby. But between the too-thin singing voice and the emphasis on eye make-up over acting, I just didn't buy it. Another full disclosure is warranted. Before Tim Burton decided just to cast his girlfriend, he did audition other actresses for the part, including the one-and-only Toni Collette. Yes, she was awesome in "Muriel's Wedding", but she also gave what is probably the best performance in a musical I've ever seen on Broadway in "Wild Party", and would have still given us a younger, sexier, but also kick-ass singer Mrs. Lovett. (She was also up for Roxie in "Chicago". Will someone please make her a star already so she stops losing out these roles???) Knowing what could have been, HBC is just mostly a disappointment. They even cut her out of "Nothing's Gonna Harm You".

Was it just me, or did anyone else keep getting confused as to what Snape and Peter Pettigrew were doing in this movie?

Another miss: this is sort of a horror movie. Going over the top isn't necessarily inappropriate for a musical, except then it sort of turns into a joke. So all that blood gushing around like it were "Kill Bill" or something gets gasps, but not gasps of horror. The sound editing of the shaving was a great start, but that should just be the beginning. When the beggar woman gets caught in the shop, it should be scary when we see Sweeney come back behind her. Johanna should be freaked out when she sees him coming towards her, bloody knife in his hand like he were Jason Voorhees. Burton should have consulted with John Carpenter or something a little bit more, because there were some great opportunities for some good scary fun that were missed. (One good exception, when Toby is in the basement and realizes what he is eating, and then Scabbers I mean the Beadle falls through the ceiling, that was well done.)

Ultimately, I enjoyed the experience. I loved the look of the movie, I loved the contrast with the "By The Sea" number, oh and I definitely enjoyed Sasha Baron Cohen who took what is probably my least favorite song to listen to and made it a standout scene. And Johnny Depp on a bad day is still Johnny Depp. But where "Dreamgirls" was moving, and "Hairspray" was fun, I just wish this had at least been scarier, or wickeder, or somethinger.

3 comments:

  1. I thought it was amazing. But then, I had no idea what I was going to see - no expectations (except, of course, for the actors). I didn't know the story, had never heard the music, nothing. I loved it. I had a great companion with me to see it (Kyle) and found out that out of all the ways of a knife, 'slicing' is the one he just can't quite abide. So he did a little bit of shivering in some parts. Heh. And I found out that when he sliced his hand on a Scout campout, he fainted. Did you know that? No slicing for Kyle. Funny the things one can discover about their kids when they have a night out. Thanks for your comments - as always, I learned something from them. I'm glad I didn't know what it was all about and got to see it through "new" eyes (and ears).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like knives either, but this was so cartoony that it didn't even phase me. However Kyle fainting is hysterical. I bet I'd have had a lot more fun if I'd seen this with you guys.

    I suppose I judge musicals pretty hard, just because I know how powerful they can be when done well. Re-reading this it sounds pretty negative, and I did in fact have a hard time connecting with the movie. But I still enjoyed it, there are a lot of nice moments. (though the barber shop did remind me a lot of the attic in "Edward Scissorhands".)

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, so we haven't seen this yet. We will and let you know what we think. I think that I should have waited to read this blog until after seeing the movie, as I am now only going to see Snape and Scabbers.

    I will write more after we see the film.

    ReplyDelete