Friday, April 11, 2008

Survivor, or how Eliza proves her worth to the season

Let's break it down, shall we? While I remain concerned over the large number of quality players we've already lost, I have yet to be disappointed by a single episode this season. Let's hope those editors can keep the excitement and intrigue coming!

We merge. Eric calls himself a monkey to Ozzy's zookeeper. Is Eric gay, or is Ozzy just a one-time exception? The audience wants to know!! It's like Ozzy is Obi-Wan and Eric is Luke. Except that Luke is now in love with Mr. Kenobi.

James eats bats. While I'm all about trying new foods when I get the chance, I don't know that I would be licking my fingers. But, point to him.

Then things start to get a bit crazy, and when picking a tribe name Erik suggests the micronesian word for "good" or some nonsense. Which, whatever, they always pick some dumb thing like that, so who cares. Then in his video diary, he says he just totally made that up. What??? My eyes light up. After the monkey comment, I'm being forced to admit that so far Eric has somehow become my favorite person, at least of this episode. I mean, he gets no points in the game for coming up with the tribe name, he just did it, well, because it amused him I guess. I likey. :)

Trouble in Amanda's universe. One of the invisible girls has suddenly become visible and is totally making the moves on Ozzy. WHO IS TOTALLY FALLING FOR IT! First of all, having a girlfriend on Survivor is 1. stupid and 2. totally gross in a sick, exhibitionist way. But, dude, seriously, you are going to dump Amanda and move on to fresher meat on national tv? Amanda, of course, is not happy about this. She is even less happy about Parvati's alliance with the homewrecker. What to do, what to do. But suddenly the power of the power alliance seems pretty shaky. Is James about to get blindsided again as the foursome collapses? I mean, he is the only one we've not heard talk strategy since, like, episode two. (My prediction: yes.)

Throughout this all we have a little delicious drama with Eliza and Jason and the fake idol. Sadly from the previews we know Eliza isn't falling for it once she sees it. This makes it a tad less fun, and I'm a bit annoyed with the pr department for showing that little gem of a clip last week. But still, the moment when Eliza exasperatedly shrieks "It's just a stick!" is still one of the most delicious meals Survivor has ever dished up. I even feel a little sorry for Jason. lol

The challenge is interesting. Well, I mean, the challenge itself is kind of weird, let's see who can get the closest to drowning themselves for money. However I am very impressed with all three of the boys at the end. I especially didn't expect James to last so long, considering his apparent aversion to the water. But, like him or not, you have to hand it to Jason. He came up as the winner hooting and hollering, while Ozzy looked like a drowned rat. Impressive. I just wish I liked him enough to ever again root for him. (I don't.) Back at camp he starts congratulating himself, which, I know, have your moment dude. If Ozzy is Obi-Wan, and Erik is Luke, then Jason is Vader, impressed by Ozzy's skill but only wanting to conquer him. But proving to the team that you can beat Ozzy at something doesn't exactly erase that target on your back, does it?

While the editors do their best to give us hope that the invisible slut girl might be in danger, it is pretty clear all along that Eliza is the target. She plays the idol, knowing it is probably fake but what can she do? She has some delicious revenge in calling Ozzy out for having the real idol. Ozzy actually handles it pretty well, but this only spells trouble for him. The strategy behind planting the fake idol was that it might prove strategically valuable. Instead, all it did was out him as having the real one. Of course, it also provided me with a few weeks of amusement, so I'm glad that he did it, but I wonder if he isn't going to soon regret his cleverness.

At the end of the day, we are down yet another good player. Interesting too, because at tribal they all talk about bringing someone no one likes to the end, but who, exactly, is left that no one likes? The invisible girls I guess. I mean, no one likes Jason, but beating Ozzy at the challenge gives him too much credentials.

The good news is that at this point I really have no idea how this is going to play out. I still think Ozzy and James have to become huge targets very, very soon. At least I still have Cirie, who for me is the best outwit player left. Look how often she tells people to do things, and then they do it. Her talk with Amanda was the only reason I even briefly had hope that Eliza might be staying last night. Parvati seems to be all over the place, but at least she is playing. So far Amanda has been a bit of a disappointment this season, but perhaps her jealousy will get her motivated to mix things up again. Since my own Ozzy-love is fading fast, I'm glad Eric is there to hold the mantle and keep me entertained.

Oh, and maybe I missed it, but I don't remember Jeff saying that Eliza was on the jury. If she isn't, that means we are back to the final two format, which often is less entertaining. I like seeing two strong players battle it out, and that usually only happens if we have a final three. Hmmmm.

3 comments:

  1. I prefer the final two format. I think the jury members are more apt to go apeshit on someone when there's only one alternative. When there are three, jury members probably have a beef with at least two, making them less upset overall at who's left.

    Soooooo ready for Jason and Eric to leave. Can we trade them for Penner? Please?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, but when there are two it usually means you have one good player, and one loser. I hate it when it takes creative editing to put the outcome in doubt. Since they moved to the top three format, we've always had at least two strong players to fight it out, with a Courtney in there for filler. That just works better for me. I want them to have to fight for it, not just be handed it because their competition is lame.

    Also, any jury member who utters the word "integrity" should be shot immediately. But that is a fight for a few weeks from now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As it turns out, any debate is moot. I was talking about this with Mrs. Fletch and she said that she heard Jeff specifically say the "1st person on the jury" spiel.

    ReplyDelete