Friday, April 11, 2008

Breaking: Fire Alarm causes evacuation of the Newseum on opening day!

Today was the perfect day. When I left to walk to the gym, I almost just kept walking because it was so nice out. Warm, but with a refreshing breeze. I was so happy.

After the gym I took another two mile-ish hike over to the Newseum. The Newseum is a brand new museum here in DC dedicated, obviously, to the news. It wasn't that I was dying to immerse myself in, er, news, but today was opening day, which meant that admission was free. After today admission is $20 a person. In a city of free, completely awesome museums, I'm not exactly sure who they think is going to pay $20, but hey, that is their problem not mine.

So I get there, and as expected there is a pretty long line. But it is moving fast, and like I said it was beautiful out, so I didn't really mind. I started looking through the brochure, and I'm not really seeing anything that is really catching my eye (no, I really don't want to pretend I am a reporter or editor on the interactive floor, thank you, and I got quite enough 9/11 imagery living in NY to last me for forever.) But on the first floor is a collection of Pulitzer Prize winning photographs, which is the one thing I'm actually really intrigued by. I finally get in, and just as I've looked at about five photos, the fire alarm goes off. ::sigh:: Like most everyone else, I ignored it for as long as I could, and made it through most of that exhibit. A very meak, confused employee was trying to make people leave, but everyone was mostly ignoring him. Then someone else came through and said it was a false alarm. Then another person came through and said, no, we had to leave. So I did. Outside, the line was still moving, which meant that the employees at the front door were still letting people in, and I could see people inside climbing staircases to the upper floors. So I guess it was just the ten people where I was that had to leave. YOU ARE DEAD TO ME NEWSEUM!

I suppose I could have waited in line again, but the fire alarm was still going off, so after another five minutes of waiting I gave up and came home. I saw what I wanted at least. I'm really baffled at who their audience will be. It does seem that you get a nice view from the upper level anyway, but that is about the only question I'm left with.

After I got home for a while, I left again to walk over to David's school and walk him home. About half-way there I realized that I'm getting an awful lot of sun today, and I wonder if I'm going to be a little on the pink side tomorrow. I don't care, today was what every day should strive to be.

I'm working all weekend. Getting excited for our company next week!

Oh, so Idol is curiously boring this season. Which is weird, because I still think it is their most talented bunch ever. But we've had like two weeks in a row of fairly boring performances. I can't even get that upset over Michael Johns leaving. I mean, he left too early, but it wasn't like he was going to win, he was only good covering Queen songs, and how long could that last? I still think Archletta is the most adoptable, Carly is the best singer but the worst dresser, that David is growing on me but Simon was right and he was SUPER PRETENTIOUS this week which annoyed me, and that Brooke and Dredlocks are basically the same person with different hair. Also Brooke needs to stop talking back. And stop crying. And Carly and Kristy need to stop being all passive-aggressive with their "shock" when they don't get voted off. If you want to be a star you need to grow some balls already, holy cow. That said, how awesome is Dolly Parton? Even if she is reaching that age where she can't really sing anymore, she is still more awesome than any of those Idols will ever be.

So who do you think will sing "Memory" for Andrew Lloyd Webber week? Will Dredlocks be savvy enough to find the Laurie Beechman guitar-cover of "Love Changes Everything"? And which song from Superstar will David sing? (please let him find the Australian cast album - or maybe ""High Flying Adored") Wouldn't it be awesome if Brooke sang "Another Suitcase, Another Hall"? Yeah, right. But I could go with a little "Tell Me On A Sunday". I bet Syeshia goes for "Music of the Night" or something ridiculous, given her recent track record.

No comments:

Post a Comment