Thursday, April 10, 2008

80 degrees is on the near horizon...I hope

Spring is imminent, and I couldn't be happier about it. Technically, spring is well on its way, trees and flowers are blooming and David has started taking his allergy medicine again. There is one of those great trees behind our house that has all the tiny purple flowers, a Japanese something-or-other I think, and it is gorgeous. The cherry blossoms are starting to fade already. But for me spring means warm weather, and we are still having a few chilly and damp days, but these are becoming fewer. We took a four mile walk yesterday over to the Bed Bath & Beyond to look for a new mixing bowl yesterday (I cracked my favorite orange bowl making cookies a while back), and it was great until about the last mile home when a cool wind picked up. We didn't actually get a new bowl, but we did get a pepper grinder, so David was happy.

Taking walks with David are probably my most favorite thing to do. I don't even care where we go. As long as it is warm out, we are great at just walking randomly and always seem to find interesting things along the way, cool architecture or plants or people or something. Last night we walked by this lady listening to an iPod, and her favorite song must have come on because all of the sudden she started shaking her formidable booty right in the middle of the sidewalk. If she hadn't been big enough to beat me up I might have laughed out loud in enjoyment. I wish more people were brave enough to dance in public. Well, she also seemed crazy, I have to admit. But still, props to her.

In a related thought, one of my other most favorite things happens at the gym. Almost everyone, myself included, works out with their iPod blaring. Every once in a while, someone on the treadmill will forget themselves for a second and sing along with music only they can hear. It never lasts more than a phrase or two, but my feelings towards singing are well documented on this blog and it always makes me happy. I don't think I've ever done it at the gym (though there was that incident as a boy scout camping in the wilderness listening to "The Wind Beneath My Wings" on my walkman...)

I just found out that we are getting five new grads this summer from the "new grad" day I helped host. That should be fun. My hospital is currently playing chicken with our travel nurses, trying to make them join the in-house agency. Dunno what is going to happen, but we might be losing a handful of extremely experienced nurses. I understand the hospitals reluctance to allow travel nurses to work indefinitely (while earning so much more than the rest of us), but at the same time losing five experienced nurses, just to replace them with five new travel nurses, seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Jeffrey and Rick are coming a week from today! Hooray!

2 comments:

  1. Spring in NM has been delightful so far. Yesterday was a beautiful spring showers kind of day. I was planning to spend all day today outside weeding out my flowerbeds and admiring the tulips, but unfortunately the winds are blowing and the temp is a chilly 40 degrees. Still, I really can't complain. It will be hotter than blazes before we know it.

    I also love to walk walk walk with my loved one, but current boyfriend is not into walking so much as he is sitting out back, smoking (I know - ack) and admiring our personal piece of nature. Not so bad, really, but I do miss strolling in the foothills on a regular basis. If I go by myself, I invariably get moody.

    We have a ton of travelers on my floor too. We'd be sunk without them. It seems like there ought to be a way to offer highly experienced nurses more money so that they're willing to sign on with us. But with new hires making nearly as much per hour as the seasoned veterans, well, I guess it a union thing (fair and equal for all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, my friend caught me at the gym this morning doing just that... I was listening to Idina Mendzel's new album on my ipod and there was this one part, well you get the drift. My friend Erin walked up, tapped me on the shoulder and said, "what'cha listening to?" I laughed and she smiled and then we talked the rest of our cardio.

    One week from today at this point we will be happily sitting on the couch with you and David talking and planning the rest of our stay. We are SO EXCITED!! Who needs Hawaii when you have the most amazing friends in Washington DC!!

    ReplyDelete