Tuesday, October 7, 2008

[title of show] is the best thing since laughing

David and I took a very quick run up to NYC this weekend. The goal: see the Broadway production of [title of show]. David saw the show in 2004 at the then brand new NY Musical Theatre Festival, and since then this company of four have taken their destiny in their own hands and through a genius combination of talent and self-promotion managed to find Broadway producers. I am in awe of them. The show was supes fun, full of laughs and inside jokes, but at its most powerful as a mirror saying "Yes, you can!".

For more insidery fun, who sits in front of us but Jen Cody and Hunter Foster (it was funny watching him not react when the show starts talking about his sister Sutton), and in front of them was John Patrick Shanley. Behind us somewhere was Mamie Duncan-Gibbs, who must have been there with a few friends because they all hooted when she was mentioned.

I'll admit it made me really miss the Broadway community. I'm quite confident that we made the right decision in leaving NY when we did, it was far too much of a sacrifice to have continued. But at its best, it was pretty darn awesome, and these [tos] kids are awesome for making their dreams come true.

We'd sort of planned on seeing a matinee, but nothing at TKTS really caught our imagination. We'd wanted to see "Billy Elliot", which is still in previews, but we balked at the $136 ticket. $136!! We were staying with our good friend Tommy, and instead e decided to slum it at the movies instead, and saw Bill Maher's "Religulous". I always take these kinds of one-sided "documentaries" with a grain of salt, as he "interviews" ordinary people who have no chance of debating someone as smart as him, or, in some cases, as even coming across as half-intelligent. But, in its best moments, he makes a compelling argument for the virtues of doubt. In a world where we have psuedo-religious political leaders who campaign on "never blinking" and are incapable of ever admitting to a mistake, I find the argument powerful and comforting. (I'm sure Maher is super disappointed that he finished shooting the movie before Sarah Palin entered the stage, because I'm sure he'd have plenty to say about her religious views.) But still, the movie isn't for anyone.

The trip was too fast to plan any time to see any of our other NY friends. Next time we come back we'll have to have a little par-tay somewhere. We had a way too fast breakfast with Tiffany Sunday morning before catching our bus back to DC, but it was just that, way too fast. I miss you Tiffany!!

So I worked last night and I found out that a 26 year old patient we've been seeing on our floor on and off for several months finally passed away on Sunday. She was very sick and in lots of pain, and I'm relieved that she isn't suffering like that anymore. But still it is so sad, no one that young should be that sick. It had been a week since I'd seen her last, just poking my head in her room when I was leaving. I sometimes try and say goodbye to people I know even if I'm not taking care of them that shift. I'm not always very good at it, but in this case I'm glad I did, because the last thing I will remember about her is a smile.

My parents and Uncle Rod are coming for the week to hang out. We're headed to Gettysberg this weekend which will be fun. I don't really know what we will do until then, but those things have a way of working out. And, no pressure guys, but it had better be fun because we've had to say "no" to no less than four couchsurfers, whom all seemed really fun and interesting. ::grin::

No comments:

Post a Comment