Friday, October 31, 2008

Survivor: Gabon, Episode 7 Recap

The Fang tribe is sad. Very sad. Matty, whom so far has had an appealing underdog quality about him, is getting demoralized by all the losses and is getting cranky. Crystal, with her Olympic Gold Medal tucked in her pocket is clearly someone who is used to winning as well, and is getting paranoid and grumpy. It is hard to watch, because I really liked these guys in the beginning, but all the whining, while totally understandable at this point, just isn't fun to watch. When Crystal spills some rice and then tries to make a martyr out of herself by not eating, it's just like, please, can we vote this team out and put them out of their misery? You know those two are going to be totally embarrassed when they get home.

Anyway, on to a challenge. The keep-away conceit is simple, but unless I'm mistaken at least is something original. Evil Randy is of course really good at it, as is Marcus, and even Bob gives it a really good go. Sugar is useless. I'd love to see the decision making process of why they chose Sugar for that position over, say, Crystal with her big long arms and strength. But instead we just get to see Sugar giggle and run around the field much in the same way, minus the giggling, that I did playing eighth grade gym class basketball - I didn't want to be there and so did the absolute minimum to keep the gym coach off my back. The thing is, I was 13, and I wasn't playing for a million dollar prize. On Jeff Probst's blog, he keeps saying we are going to fall in love with Sugar, and while I do find her adorable, I so far have little reason to enjoy her game playing. Anyway, shocker, Fang loses as quickly as is possible, and the victors take the helicopter ride off into the sunset. I always love the adventure rewards, but this one gets pretty scant screen time. They even squeeze in the letters-from-home reward, which pushes Bob over the edge into hysteric tears, which is both adorable and a little uncomfortable.

I don't really get the idea behind sending Sugar to Exile every time. At this point they must be pretty certain she has the idol. It just seems mean. From a strategic point of view, I guess I understand, but even a heartless "outwit" game enjoyer like me is starting to feel bad. Sugar is spending most of the game all alone, well, alone except the camera man. Not that I guess she is really missing anything fun back at camp, and at least there she gets to stay fat on fruit. But still, it is still pretty heartless.

Challenge #2 is the old barrel-roll. But in a twist we are playing for individual immunity before we merge, and both tribes have to vote someone out. It isn't the biggest twist, but I approve even of minor ones, so this sits fine with me. Plus, we are getting very close to jury selection and still have a lot of excess baggage around. The only thing that strikes me about the barrel roll is how little anyone understands the strategy behind it. Everyone was so focused on keeping their own balance, that they were all too afraid to attack and simply make the other person fall in first. But whatever, watching people fall into water is enjoyable enough, and it still stacked up pretty much in an order you would expect. However I must protest any further challenges where Bob takes off his shirt. Seriously, give that guy an eclair stat.

Kota has to decide between Dan and Susie. My favorite exchange of the season happens with Corrine and Susie. Corrine says, "I just really like you and so wanted to let you know we are voting for Dan." Suzie: "Oh, that is good to know, because, heh heh, I was going to vote for you otherwise." Corrine: "I HATE YOU AND WANT TO STAB YOU IN THE FACE!" This was good for a few reasons. One, it is the first interesting thing Susie has done in seven weeks. Second, it reminds us that while Corrine has been laying low while she's been winning everything, she is clearly out of her mind crazy and hopefully will be contributing more to my enjoyment of the show as the merge approaches and she actually has to start playing. Game. On.

The golden alliance of three replaces poor old Jackie with evil Randy, a move that infuriates me even though I totally understand. You want to take the cranky old guy who no one will vote for to the end. So though none of them are ready to say it yet, I'm sure he is on their short lists for final two. I also get that they don't want to take Bob to the end, since he would probably have a good shot at beating them, but they also don't really seem to trust him, which is something I don't really understand. Probst, you guys gotta do a better job at explaining stuff like that. Anyway, they get paranoid about Dan having the idol, so they split their votes, but Dan still goes home. I liked our Nick Lachey lookalike enough, but I can't say I'm really going to miss him either. I mean, dude wore a tie to tribal. (I also liked Corrine's bedside psych eval of him: "I wonder if he was a fatty growing up, cause he is so needy." Ha!)

On Fang, it quickly comes down to Sugar, who has to decide between Ace and Crystal. She has been totally useless during the game so far, and finally she decides to play in a big way, and votes for Ace. I really didn't see that coming, and this was, for me, the first surprise of the season. FINALLY! I have mixed feelings though, because while it made for a great tribal surprise, and while I've never actually liked Ace, at all, he has been the only player really playing. (Other than Kenny who has done a pretty good job at working Sugar.) I guess you don't know who you really love until they are gone, because I have to say I'm a little sad. But do you know who is going to be really excited? Marcus.

Next week, if I'm reading between the lines, seems to be the merge. Good, cause then Marcus/Charlie/Corrine are going to finally have to start playing. I wonder if their loose alliance with Randy and Bob is going to hold up, or if Kenny will be able to organize against them. Randy hardly needs the help, but he is clearly being set up as the villain, and the only way that ends good is for him to be voted out. I can see him getting too comfy and over-reaching. Let's hope anyway. (Is it bad if I am also hoping he gets eaten by a hippo? OK, maybe just chased? Cause that would be AWESOME. At the very least I'd like another pineapple to the face. Please?)

UPDATE: Follow this link to see a Corrine video confession to some crazy.

3 comments:

  1. Yea, I'm not one for gore all that much, but I could definitely watch Randy get eaten by a hippo. He's not a villain on the level of that ass Joel, but he's certainly trying. He's just classless and crude, and is in dire need of being put in his place.

    I really hope Matty can stick around for a while, but it ain't looking good. He's alienated Kenny and Crystal, so he's left with no real allies that I'm aware of. C'mon, individual immunity...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Matty, much like Marcus at this point, is a pawn of circumstance. (Except that Marcus started his game smartly and early.) But I think the fate of both of them is going to be decided this coming week. It seems like a merge, but Probst is crowing on his blog that they have a surprise in store - I'm wondering if it is another one of the live together but remain separate teams like they did in Thailand or something? I hope it is a new twist, but I'm looking forward to finding out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what people are willing to confess on national television AND the internet. I have a similarly bad (not as violent) story of something awful I did when I was in first grade, but I can't imagine confessing it for the world to hear. Maybe in a bar with friends after a few drinks....

    And just for the record, I'm down for seeing *anyone* get chased by a hippo.

    ReplyDelete