Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Politics are boring, but at least we have Jon Stewart

At this point I'm not feeling the need to comment much on Palin, since everything seems to be in such flux. We'll see what happens tonight.

I was in a patient's room last night when Lieberman spoke. I'm sorry, but political speeches are SO BORING, and I thought his was terrible and even awkward. Anyway, to me he seems much less like the "Independent" he likes to say he is and more like someone who got his feelings hurt from the Democrats picking someone else over him and so he is getting revenge. But whatever.

But reason #1 I could never vote for the current Republican party. Because this is now a party that will never admit that McCain was tortured as a POW. If they admit that what happened to him was torture, they open themselves up to charges as war criminals. So now he was just "beaten". I know, I know, all politicians are tricky with wordplay, and everyone is a hypocrite, and conventions are the time for huge rhetoric. But more than anything else the current administration has done, the one thing I will never, ever forgive them for is making America a country that tortures people and tried to weasel out of it with fancy turns of phrase. McCain can't raise his arms over his head anymore, but hey, that wasn't torture. This is what they've stolen from him, and since he is willing to sell his soul to try to win, he can't even argue it.

Also, isn't it a little bit funny that McCain and Palin both have made such a big deal out of the fact that Palin's teenage daughter made her own choice to keep her (as yet unborn) baby, yet both of them support policies to take away that choice from her?

Update: Hmmm, that was some sloppy word choice. I'm glad the girl made the choice to keep her baby, I have no issue with her at all. It is just the political posturing that annoys me.

No comments:

Post a Comment