Monday, October 29, 2007

Visitor fun and the finding of the green chile

We had another visit from an Albuquerquian. Steve used to do theatre (and grew up a few houses down from my parents), but for some reason decided to go to law school. So he's doing that now. In Baltimore. Yesterday he drove down and we walked around the Mall a bit. The Library of Congress was inexplicably closed, well, the signs all said open but the front door was locked. But we took him to the Supreme Court and the Air and Space Museum and then up to the Portrait Gallery which was pretty cool. We saw like half the cast of "1776". Plus a guy who looked like a vampire, and another one who looked like Dumbledore. Also, who knew, but the faux-mohawk was also fashionable in the early 1800's.

Then we had lunch at the American Indian Museum. And guess what they had? Green chile!!! I was so excited, I thought I would never find it outside of New Mexico. Perhaps it wasn't the best green chile I'd ever had, mind you, but it still tasted good on my bison burger. People have been recommending the cafe there for a long time, so it was fun to actually go. They have some very interesting stuff, lamb and salmon and baked turnips and all sorts of stuff. It isn't cheap either, the lady in front of me in line (this is a put stuff on your tray kind of place) paid $50 for two people. But boy did her selections look yummy. Ours worked out about $12 a head, which isn't terrible but just seems a lot in a cafeteria setting. Also a plus? Fry bread. Anyway, now I can go get a little taste of New Mexico if I need it.

Then we came home and he painted a frame for our wall of "friend frames". As will you when you come visit, we always like encouraging our guests to make a little art.

We'll be going to visit him up in Baltimore at some point, he has promised to take us to good crab cakes, which I have a weakness for. Plus they have a great aquarium, so it is a no-brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment