Friday, October 12, 2007

Stuff, and why every movie needs a little TLC

Our houseguest left this morning. I'm currently waiting for a tow truck, sadly we left a door open or something and the battery died. Even more sad is that we got a jump and drove the car into Virginia where it cut out while we were driving. Of course my angels were with me and we couldn't have gotten stranded in a better place, a nice quiet safe residential neighborhood with ample street parking that I could coast into. Then we walked down to a theatre where we had tickets for "Merrily We Roll Along" at the Signature Theatre. It was an interesting if ultimately unsatisfying show, but we wanted to see it because it so rarely gets performed, and we brought Todd along as his birthday present. The good news is that, now having seen two productions at the Signature, which is one of the top theatres in the area, we see that David would be very competitive for getting acting work here. His job at the school is proving to be much more stressful that ever anticipated, so he is mulling over other options, and that would be a fun one.

I had to work the next day, so after the show we just got towed back to our house. When the tow truck gets here today I get the joy of hanging around the Toyota dealership while they inspect and tell me I need a new alternator, etc, and get an unexpected hefty bill. Ugh. I don't even have a book. ::sad face::

What else? We saw the movie "Across The Universe", and saw our BFF Tiffany listed in the credits having cast the movie. We saw her name on the Rent movie too, but that game will never get old, it is so exciting! I wish I could remember all the stories she told us when she was actively working on the movie, but that was a few years ago and I couldn't quite recall the fun stuff she had told us. (Like the main guy she discovered somewhere in England.) But still, I thought the cast totally rocked out. I don't really know the Beatles music all that well, so really only recognized maybe a quarter to half of the songs. But there are some pretty amazing visuals. The movie owes a lot to "Moulin Rouge", but still stands on its own merits. Julie Taymor is on crack in a totally different way from the way Baz Luhrmann is on crack, I don't know how people come up with stuff like that.

Maybe I'll post some pics later, but with Todd we took a tour of the Capitol Building, which is gorgeous, and went inside the Library of Congress, which is gorgeous. We went to our favorite Italian place near Dupont Circle and I had grouper with mango sauce and this risotto that was out of this world. We nixed the sushi last night because we were too tired to travel, and went to a local Thai place instead. Then we came home and watched "Pushing Daisies". I love that show! Weird and quirky and funny and satisfying. Plus, Kristin Chenowith singing "Totally Devoted". I hope they let her sing like all the time, that would make me sooooo happy. (But she does need better hair.)

It was like 90 degrees and humid on Tuesday, and today I think the high is 64, I can't believe how fast it cooled off. But it is fall I guess. I just need to go buy a pair of sweats to wear over my scrubs to get me to work.

Well, the tow truck should be here in the next half hour or so, so I'd better get ready to go. ::sigh::

2 comments:

  1. I TIVO'd Pushing Daisies and haven't watched it yet, but can't wait. It's one of two new shows I am watching this season. Much to Jeffrey's dismay I am hooked on The Bionic Woman (the new Jamie Summers is HOT) and Pushing Daisies. I didn't think I would like it, but what a quirky, fun show!

    I must call you to talk politics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a child of the 70s, who had a huge crush on the original Jamie Summers, of course I had to give the new show a try. But it seems rather a mess at this point. Maybe they just need a while to find their feet, but I wonder what the ratings are and if they'll have the time to do it. The bad bionic woman reminds me of Geena Davis from that movie where she was the assassin with amnesia, which is a good thing because I ::heart:: Geena Davis even though she hasn't done anything good in years except *almost* qualify for the Olympics in archery.

    ReplyDelete