Sunday, November 18, 2007

Reasons why my parents are totally awesome

1. They took us to Costco, because my belly is a slave to those frozen Chicken Bakes, and if we don't have any in the freezer life just seems sad. (We were down to just one, but we bought two more boxes so should be good until they come visit again. I know, we could just go to Costco ourselves, but somehow it is just more fun with them, it is a mystery of life I don't question.) Also we got a huge poinsetta, and you know what that means:

2. It is Christmastime! But that is a whole additional realm of awesomeness that deserves its own post next weekend when we pull out the decorations and treat all our neighbors to some Christmas cheer that will fill their previously empty lives with holiday goodness and joy.

3. My dad is getting weirder as he gets older, but in more interesting ways. Actually, he read my mind and had a super-brilliant idea for a Christmas present for David. But, while everyone in my family has been long-aware of his savant ability to absorb vast quantities of random trivia, on the way home he started busting out with the foreign languages. Yeah, maybe I can say "hello" in like six languages, but he can say "Everybody loves a Saturday night" in Ethiopian. Then he said something equally as random in Swahili, and then Russian. I don't know how he does it. It almost makes me forgive him for watching Fox "News" in my house.

4. While my dad was watching either Fox "news", or maybe a western, (who knows, he changes the channels so fast it just looks like a blur to us mere mortals), we took my mom on a walk to the Capitol Building. Along the way we had a nice discussion about...the pros and cons of circumcision. (Full disclosure, having watched a couple in the hospital, my take is that I'd never, ever, do that to a son of mine.) But sometimes I'm just amazed at the topics of discussion that come up.

5. We went to dinner at the Banana Cafe, and I had the best steak fajita I've had in a long time. My mom's plate was garnished with plantains, but I was the only one who liked them so I made myself sick eating those too. It was a really good meal, highlighted with cute stories about my nieces and nephews. ::melancholy sigh because I miss all of them::

6. This morning we got both that Texas sliced bread and some cinnamon bread so we can make french toast for breakfast! I know, this post is turning into all about food, but still, I am typing here waiting for my parents to get up so we can eat. Breakfast is the best.

7. My parents admitted that they don't really like Guiliani, and for all the right reasons. Sweet.

8. I'm not sure what we are going to do today, maybe go to a movie or something. We were going to have early Thanksgiving dinner with my aunt and uncle, but they got sick. ::sad face:: Get well soon!

9. I don't really have another thing, but I'm sure something else fun will happen today, so I'm anticipating nine reasons why my parents are totally awesome. For the record.

4 comments:

  1. your post made me really hungry. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me too. but it also made me want to blog the top 10 reasons i love my parents. and it makes me happy because think about it...how many people have you met that really don't either have awesome parents or realize that they do?

    it also makes this anti-circumcision jew want to tell my circumcision joke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love "Why I love my parents" posts. I did one last June for Father's Day. And for the record, I'm very happy you're so darn happy. I miss seeing you in class every week (just leave out the class part). Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to having some of those conversations with your parents in a couple weeks when we spend a few days up there for a Christmas Party.

    They are as cool as people their age is allowed to be!

    ReplyDelete