Thursday, November 12, 2009

Rain, rain, go away

Preparations continue. Tuesday I walked 2 1/2 miles to some office to get a permit for the moving company to park a storage cube on the street for us to move the essentials to Vegas. We are going to get rid of most of our furniture, but there are always boxes of yearbooks to save. Unfortunately they have to do some visual inspection of the street to make sure there isn't a bus stop or something in front of our house (there isn't), so I have to go back again to get the actual permit. Due to the holiday yesterday, it may or may not be ready this afternoon. However, it is raining cats and dogs out there, and another 5 mile round trip walk in the rain does not sound very appealing. (I don't drive in the city, parking is awful.) I guess I'll have to take the metro part way. I'm weird like that, the metro doesn't make a straight line to where I'm going, I have to go all the way into the city, transfer to a new train and then head back out again, which isn't hard but just annoys me to have to, map wise, go so far out of the way just to circle back. In the end I'd rather just walk, which I guess is partly what makes me constitutionally inclined to be a backpacker. Thank you New York for bringing that out in me!

Tuesday night our friend Morgan who was in "La Boheme" with us called, he has been living in Switzerland but was in DC for an audition. He had just a little time to spare before his train back to NY, so we walked another 4 1/2 miles to see him and give him a brief run around the Capitol Building. (I never get tired of seeing people see it for the first time, it is always such a thrill.) We had a great time catching up, we are so lucky to know such awesome people that are scattered across the world, and maybe we don't get to see them very often, but when we do we have such a great time. Ditto to the time we got to spend with Jun, my best friend from high school who stayed with us for a few days this weekend. We have great friends!

I can tangent like no one, eh? My point being that I ended up walking almost ten miles that day, and while my legs and body had no problem, my feet were a little sore at the end of the day. Gotta start building up my callouses again to prepare for hiking up all those Mayan temples. So rain, please stop so I can start walking again every day.

2 comments:

  1. Shout out to Troop Beverly Hills-- What a thrill! Our shared fave film, sadly. :)

    Robb, I had the BEST time in DC! I really felt sad and melancholy on the drive home. Just a mixture of nostalgia for the good ol' days and wistfulness of a warm autumn day and Amish people in buggies going in the opposite direction on the side of the freeway in Central PA. I cherish those high school days doing theatre and math homework and stuff! I miss you and David--wish I had stayed longer! I am going to stay tuned here and watch for your Yucatan posts, soon!! xoxoxoxo Jun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Math homework? I have no memory of that. lol

    Next time we hang out we totally have to do a double feature of TBH and Bill and Ted. I haven't seen either of them since, but I'm sure they will hold up and the most excellent adventures they are. ;)

    ReplyDelete