Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm so excited and I just can't hide it!

After a very busy weekend, I just had one of the slowest night shifts ever. All four of my patients wanted to be left alone to sleep which, hey, is totally reasonable (but very unusual). I gave one guy a sandwich at 1am and basically did nothing but paperwork until I drew some blood at 4 and then passed some meds at 6. A nice break I guess, but for a second-in-a-row night shift, it meant I was struggling a bit. One of my 93 year-old lady patients at least gave me something to think about by setting off the alarms every five seconds with her crazy bradycardia. Her baseline is about 50, so we had the alarm set at 45, but as she slept she kept dropping, and by morning the alarm was set at 39 and she was still setting it off every few minutes. Kind of scary, but the docs were aware and when I'd check on her I would be the one in distress, not her. At one point we had to straight cath her for a urine sample, and though she was resistant and restless, her heart rate spiked to an incredible - 55.

I had another patient all weekend, a guy who was hoping for a liver transplant, but his kidneys started shutting down as well. The transplant team finally denied him, so he decided just to go home. His family was all there and very supportive, but with liver and renal failure, he probably won't live but another few days. He was a great guy, only in his 50s, and though his family was being strong for him if I'd get them out of the room they would start to break down. For whatever reason they all got along with me very well and I'm glad I was able to help them through what was a very rough few days (lots of pain, blood and albumin transfusions, EKGs, etc). Don't forget to enjoy the time that you have, because you just never know.

But enough of work. Tonight our super-friend from Albu-q-q Erin is coming for a visit, and I am ridiculously excited. Kyle and Liz arrive on Friday, and then my Dad will get here Tuesday. Better yet, I don't have to go back to work until next Thursday! So let the partay-ing begin! I just hope all the expected rain gives us a break because we have lots of fun outdoorsy stuff planned, and I will be very bummed if we can't take our company to Six Flags because of stupid weather.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Robb. I can't understand all the jargon of your shift experiences, but That just goes to show that you went to school to learn all this stuff and I didn't. In any case, I'm glad you are there with your patients and I'm glad you are glad that you are there.
    Jealous about your company. I'll pray for great weather. I was in Denver today and it was gorgeous. Las Vegas is hot.
    I'm seeing Uncle Kev and family on Sunday. Just enjoying a little certain new nephew tomorrow. He talks in his sleep. ::grin::
    Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so nice to see your accounts of nursing. Your experiences mirror mine in so many ways.

    Well, I thought Survivor absolutely rocked! I've only watched it for the last 3 or 4 years, but I agree that this was the most interesting and exciting game to date. I'm okay with Parvati winning, but I was really rooting for Cirie. Your reviews were great and kept me connected to someone who watches. I really can't find anyone at work or in my friends/family circle that watches. What a shame! Maybe I'll talk my Dad into it this year...

    ReplyDelete