Friday, May 25, 2007

Summer reality...

So now that Idol and Survivor and Amazing Race are done, what is a reality-TV addict to do? Well, there is always "So You Think You Can Dance", which I may just give a try this time. But while Pirate Master has yet to surface (it is a fact of life that the two raddest things in the universe are dinosaurs and pirates), I have seen "On The Lot", and it is good. So far the humiliation factor is low, always a plus in my book. And I'm all about Carrie Fisher being the voice of the show, I really hope she sticks around on the panel. But I liked the way they stipulated right up front that all the contestants were talented - they had to be to even get on the first episode. After that, the search isn't for the best filmmaker (necessarily), but for the person who can best handle the pressure and schedule and perform in the challenges for this specific show. The people kicked off first could still turn out to be successful filmmakers. Anyway, I'm sure we haven't seen the last of personality clashes, and just the nature of trying to produce art on demand will bring plenty of tension in itself. There is no need to heap scorn on the ones who can't keep up - these guys aren't going to walk away in tears saying "I'll never make movies again!". I like that.

It is still too early, but so far I really like the special effects guy. It is unfair, because his short where he bazooka'd a UFO has been played on all the promos, but still, I loved what he did with the hangers. I also instantly root for anyone with an accent, I wish there were more of those, cause the girl seemed like she may be in for a struggle. I suspect we have much delicious entertainment to come, especially once the numbers are whittled down and we actually get to watch all the films.

The worst part of it is that the producers have supplied them with actors, a few of which at least have done other things. Can anyone tell me who the actor was that played the guy who died eating the peanut butter sandwich? I hate it when I recognize actors but can't place where I've seen them before. According to the previews he is going to show up again, so unless I figure it out he is going to drive me crazy all season. He probably played a killer on an episode of "The X-Files" or something totally random like that. I just hope I can remember. Also I *think* I saw the guy who played the twinkie-loving cop in the first "Die Hard", but I didn't really pay attention until it was too late, but he'll probably be back too for me to confirm.

No comments:

Post a Comment