Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Announcement

So you know how David and I live a rather unconventional life? Like how we move across the country every few years? We've certainly made no secret of our goal to one day live in Hawaii and Australia. And, while we have loved, nay, LOVED our time here in Washington DC, after 2 1/2 years we've decided it is time to move on, to get back to some warmer climates and, ideally, to be closer to the nieces and nephews that are growing up way too fast without us. So we put in our notice at work and started looking for work back on the West Coast.

Then a funny thing happened. Well, first a not funny thing happened, actually, two not funny things happened, but then a very funny and wonderful thing happened. (Holy crap I am a Steve Martin nerd, I bet 99% of you have never even heard of that movie, but I can't resist an opportunity to make David giggle. NOTE: if you want to make David giggle, quote "Mixed Nuts". It works every time.) My job search was progressing much slower than anticipated, but optimists that we are we decided to go with it. Which of course required a Facebook status update: "So we are moving. Like to California. Or maybe Vegas. Or possibly Phoenix. If all else fails, learning spanish in Guatemala sounds nice." For you literary types, that's called foreshadowing.

I've been telling people at work, and the super rad nurse recruiter who brought me here to Georgetown personally got me on the phone with another recruiter from LA, who, though quite friendly and supportive, said point blank, "Do not move here without a job lined up. It is that bad right now." Normally I don't listen to advice like that, because I have angels who watch over me that do things like find me sweet apartments and get me great jobs and all sorts of meddling things to make my life enviously awesome. Yesterday I was talking to one of my bosses who revealed just how well she knows me. Claire had been talking to my other boss, who was hoping that because of the bad job market I might change my mind and stay here longer. Claire just smiled and said "I don't think so, if nothing else he will just do something crazy."

Crazy depends on your point of view, but David and I have decided to take our own partly subconscious advice and do something we've actually been throwing around for the last ten years since I got home from my backpacking trip to Asia. We're gonna take six months (or so) and go backpacking through Central America. Boo-yah!

7 comments:

  1. how does 6 months in central america bring you closer to your nieces and nephews??? OK, it's still amazing and wonderful and perfect for you guys. After your tour you can move to LA. There that is that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys. Go with it and remember there is a big CS community in Costa Rica.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wackadoodles! When is the big move?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a fantastic idea... not only will you have amazing and incredibly rich life experiences, you will be even more marketable upon return. As always, live and have a blast!!! Otherwise, what exactly is the point to life?!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mucho gusto! I'm so envious. Looking forward to photos of the two of you in exotic rainforests and ancient ruins. And, of course, blog updates about Survivor en espanol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You will achieve your hope of being closer with your nephews and nieces by posting as often as possible!

    Sounds like an awesome idea, I love your guys' spontaneity!!

    ReplyDelete