Thursday, February 19, 2009

Survivor: Tocantins, Episode 2 Recap

Ok folks. Prepare for a fast and dirty edition of Survivor: Tocantins. I'm working 12 hour shifts the next three days in a row, over which same time my dad is going to be visiting, so if I don't get this blog done within a half hour of the show being over (at which time I have to go to bed to prepare for my 5am alarm) then it just isn't going to get done. It won't be quite a live blog (which I tried once before) because I can't watch and think and type all at the same time. I'm starting this before the show even starts, and at this point I have to admit I'm getting my reality show contestant mixed up, with Idol and Amazing Race also starting this week. (Speaking of which, can you imagine the fun if Tatiana Del Toro came on Survivor??? Can't you just see her at the first Tribal Council, with her hand over her heart begging Jeff not to snuff out her fire of dreams? I actually feel a little bad for her, the Idol machine chewed her up in a way she wasn't ready for and she is reeling trying to find her balance again. That said, I'm Gokey all the way.)

Strep Throat Blondie enlists help to find the idol. I guess she sort of had to, it is hard to go off by yourself for too long. Also, it is a good way to get an alliance going, which she desperately needs at this point. But of course they get caught. So if they build a fire over the spot the idol is buried, how will they ever keep looking?

I'm never a huge fan of this challenge. Too violent and angry. It isn't as bad this time around at least, and no one seems to be hurt. And good for the Football players wife, who has some brute force on her side if nothing else. Her and the lawyer were an interesting pair. lol Until the very end when I saw that Crazy Lady was on the winning team, I had no idea who was on which team. Not that I have a favorite yet anyway, but it is nice when things are relatively even.

I like the idea of pairs sent to tribal. I feel like this has happened once before (was it Fans vs. Favorites?), but to have it happen every week could get very interesting. I'm liking Brendan, anyone who has their hand in searching for two different idols in two days is definitely in the game. And I'm liking The Football Players wife too. I identify with the city slicker guy, cause I have no idea who her husband is either, but she is just charming. And that they can switch teams? I usually hate it when the force the teams to change, but voluntary switches could add in a whole new layer.

City Slicker is bromancing on Tom Sawyer. Well, he says he is "smitten" by his "pretty country ways". Again, you can't write this stuff.

OK, so when I said this wasn't the most attractive cast, I'll admit I hadn't gotten a good look at Candace. She is striking, and I'm not even talking about the boobage. However, she is also a bitch. Now I think Coach is smarmy, and I'm even more convinced that he's gonna have an uphill battle to survive. Demanding a kiss was creepy enough, and then he licked her face! First off, gross, secondly, isn't that harassment? But it rarely pays to be opinionated. That is two in a row now. (And in the end even her friend in the ruffles voted for her. Ouch.)

All in all, not a huge episode, but it has set up a lot of fun potential. Cross-team alliances, team switching, idol-hunting, the eventual takedown of Coach. Oh, and perhaps a bonfire on the grave of Barbie's now dead idol! Yes indeed, there is some fun to be had.

2 comments:

  1. You did a fine job of a quick rundown. I too was underwhelmed by the episode (though overwhelmed by Candace's boobage ;) ), but you make some god points about it being a setup episode for later. I'm not liking Coach as all, but I usually end up hoping the heel stays on as they keep the show more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see Coach as a bad guy, at least not in the same vein as Randy or Shane. More like an Ace, just egotistical with a side dish of creepy.

    ReplyDelete