Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh My God, I Am Linking To Fox News

I never thought I would post a link from a Fox "News" program, but here goes.



I am amazed and hugely saddened by this debate over torture. It makes me so angry because it seems like such a no-brainer to me, and for anyone to defend such an evil thing simply for partisanship is, well, staggering. Whether it works or not (and I would say that it doesn't) is totally irrelevant. IRRELEVANT. It is an act of evil, period, the end. I've been to the S-21 Torture prison in Cambodia, and decades later you can still feel the evil that was done there. One of the few survivors was a painter, and there is a prominently displayed painting he made of a person being waterboarded. When I was there nine years ago, there was no doubt in anyone's mind that it was clearly torture.

I believe our actions set a precedent, and no matter how badly Peggy Noonan wants to "just walk on by" and not pay any attention, I don't believe we have the luxury of ignoring the fact that this happened under our watch just because dealing with it might be uncomfortable and hard. And I'm not talking about Lynndie England. But we have to clean this mess up in no uncertain terms before we can move on and get it behind us.

This is America. We are better than that. And props to Shep Smith for breaking the partisanship line and saying it.

No comments:

Post a Comment